Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not to sure about everyone else, but the older buffet bass clarinet register mech always amazes me how poor of a design it is. Its simplistic, but I find it never truly closes the pads with decent pressure compared to say a selmer.

Has anyone modified these units and had success.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
Which one do you mean by 'older'? I have a Buffet Prestige Low C bass, and I do agree the mech on the Selmers is much nicer to operate.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
Which one do you mean by 'older'? I have a Buffet Prestige Low C bass, and I do agree the mech on the Selmers is much nicer to operate.
I prefer the mechanism on the new Buffet (new = latest version, not necessarily very new) over any Selmers, including the newest Privilege model and previous 37 (and 35) model. A few linkages are designed worse on the Selmers, both their shape and their levers.

As far as older Buffets, what is "older"? A while ago I worked on the model with the one before latest register mechanism (significantly different than current) and it was, after all the work, just fine. No problem of sealing and a good feel. When I recently saw the same player in a concert, about a year later (and he also plays a few hours a day), still no problems. Another, from the model with neck water key, got out of adjustment after about a year, but it was abused a bit in a school and carried around to music camps.

I don't remember specifics much, but I remember seeing a lot of poor register mechanisms... though I don't think I modified anything beyond changing angles and shapes of linkages and used different/better materials i.e. I don't think I ever removed parts and made new ones. I don't remember when it was impossible to get a good and reliable adjustment. Sometimes it was getting close to borderline but still closing reliably with no issues. Could be that the different angles/shapes/materials made a significant difference to reliably.

IME.

Edit: I was typing during sismo's 2nd post. I have no experience with the 1180 model.

·
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the new model mechs on the buffets. The selmers have a positive closure.

Now I dont have the instrument in front of me, so Im trying to remember what it looks like

The 1180, has a simple pivot bar in the mech, lever from A comes up and over, the closure up the back is a fine balance between the upper register spring and this under action spring under the thumb between the lever from A, much like an oboe, no postive re-inforcement like in the selmers..

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
Just to clarify something about the 1180. It is not the older model, it is an older and discontinued model. It was made at the same time as the current models, just a different level, a student/intermediate model. It wasn't replaced by a new/current model. It has the throat Bb and register system of student models (in principal, I haven't seen to know exactly how it works in comparison) and is not a true double register key. I'm not sure what Selmers you are referring to, whether the professional models with true double register system or the student models (e.g. Bundy, Selmer USA, etc.). The 1180 compares (in type of register system) with the student Selmer models.

·
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify something about the 1180. It is not the older model, it is an older and discontinued model.
I dont understand why it was necessary for you to clarify that point to me, but thanks anyway..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts