Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Martin

Votes: 13 39.4%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that these two are the best in vintage sopranos. I know Buescher only made true-tones, but I know very little about Martin models. Which ones play better? Which have better intonation? Which are more bang for the buck? Also, which model of Martin sops are generally considered the best?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
I voted for Martin, as this was simply what I preferred when trying out vintage horns. I have also played a Buescher TT.
The pitch on my Martin is awesome, and I prefer it to my previous YSS-62, especially down the bottom.
As far as I know, Martin only made Handcraft sopranos. There are more options with the Bueschers.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I voted Martin. The intonation on the Bueschers is slightly better and (IMHO) the Buescher tone is "sweet", but I just love the deep rich tones of the Martin sops.

W.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I didn't vote because I like them both. The True Tone's sopranos that I've played are a little more focused than the Martins. For me, it comes down to the individual horn and how it is set up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
I played them both and prefer the martins richer sound, i think the keyworks better also!

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I think for this poll to be a complete comparison of American vintage sopranos it needs to include Conn and King in there.

Players of these brands, please share your experiences.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Though when I was in grade school, the reed player in my father's band used to let me borrow his Martin soprano, I hadn't tried one since. Now I did get to play a Martin stencil soprano last weekend at the Sax Symposium and I'd have to say it was a bit subdued in comparison to my Buescher. Not bad, just not as in your face as the Buescher can be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts