Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

does anyone have the best key heights (tuning wise and soundwise) for a 233xxx beuscher straight Bb soprano?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Don't have any specific values but they should be similar to those for any tone hole of similar size. Just look at your alto or tenor and reproduce the same proportions.

The palm keys are almost always set up way too open on smaller horns like soprano. I have gotten much better results by setting them to be similar proportionally to all the other tone holes.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
AFIK Yamaha is the only company that has published a list of recommended key heights which is attached to this post. I have compared these with the tonehole diameters of a YAS-23 and have found there is good correlation to the key opening of 60% of the diameter of the tonehole which is thought to give the maximum venting with the least amount of key travel. On most of my saxophone work I use the Yamaha specs as a good starting point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
saxoclese,
many thanks for the attached file,
that is exactly what i was looking for to make a little correction on my soprano (however I did only on 2 keys).
On my tenor palm keys were too opened, a few years ago when I've bought it, the technician (from the famous shop) supposedly made adjustments, but probably not exactly (so I made adjustment, I did it on the ear, step by step).
What's calf, in my other tenor the heights are quite different.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
For the palm keys, high E and F# keys, side keys, fork F# key, and low Eb and C keys the heights can be set pretty much independently. The bell keys aren't quite as independent due to the relationships involved with the LH table. The upper and lower stack key heights are set based upon the height of one key. I like to use the low F. Some techs like to use the low F# or the low E. Once the height of this key is chosen, the regulation and the elimination of "lost motion" determines the height of the other stack keys. The upper stack is linked to the lower stack through the adjustment of the Bis key. When absolutely necessary this relationship can be "tweaked" a bit by changing the curvature of the arm that extends from the Bis, but it is a bit of a challenge to make this modification.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts