Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,813 Posts
I love the illustration of “the old style pad”. Look how terrible they are!! See how much better it could be!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Was there a date on this? I'd guess somewhere 1926-1928?0?

I'm awed by the variety, and the inflation-adjusted prices aren't bad.
How about a C-sop for $1300? (90 then)
or gold-plated for $2900? (200 then)
or a bass for $3200? (220 then)
or gold-plated for $7350? (510 then) (That's a lot of acreage to gold-plate!)

These seem roughly comparable to Chinese horn prices today.

Inflation calculator at https://westegg.com/inflation/

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm awed by the variety, and the inflation-adjusted prices aren't bad.
How about a C-sop for $1300? (90 then)
or gold-plated for $2900? (200 then)
or a bass for $3200? (220 then)
or gold-plated for $7350? (510 then) (That's a lot of acreage to gold-plate!)

These seem roughly comparable to Chinese horn prices today.

Inflation calculator at https://westegg.com/inflation/
It came with the 1925 alto that I just restored. And I would gladly take a time machine to reverse-inflate my money and buy a gold-plated bass :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice piece of ad lit - thank you for sharing it!! I have one like that for clarinets from 1930. It has the same art style but different colors. Saxophone.org has one from 1930 with the same cover as yours, but different insides (https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/567). Maybe the original owner was thinking of upgrading? The '25 had a pearl g#, no?

If I went back I would order a C Melody in the regular velvet silver plate (Finish E), but with a Style 3 case in Copenhagen Blue silk plush. Total bill cash $189 (2019 $2,824.37). Looks like it also came with free tools for replacing it with the snap-on pads, too.

·
3,950 Posts
look at the very last page bottom right.
Form 102 is the printers file
25m is the quantity printed. They printed 25,000 copies
3-12-31 is the print date.
The information next to it could be the revisions/version or the print company name.

The fifth picture down also notes “ in all of Buescher’s 53 years”... so what year was their first year and add 53. Do the dates match? Anyone have the answer. I don’t know the correct first year.

·
3,950 Posts
It came with the 1925 alto that I just restored. And I would gladly take a time machine to reverse-inflate my money and buy a gold-plated bass :)
What a absolutely beautiful piece of Printing. What a lucky find. In the time era this print was produced it was state of the art craftsmanship. The refined half tones, duotones, tritones, we’re quite the high-end artisanship. All hand processed photo engraving for letterpress work. The colors were printed one at a time and probably weeks apart. The printing presses were most likely the finest available anywhere in the world. 25,000 copies of this booklet was a HUGE order. The quality of this catalog speaks volumes about Buescher. They invested a huge wad of cash in promotional advertising not that long after the stock market crash. Thank you for sharing a wonderful piece of history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts