Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lead on a nice Buescher TT Bari, close to my price range. That I want to jump on, and I probably will. It needs nothing and comes with what I need, and I would need to buy a minimal amount of stuff after purchase. However, they seem really disperate to sell it to me. I called them today, to get a grasp on if the horn was still their, what kind of condition it is in. I was at work when I called, no kids were their so I was pretty much ok. But they seemed willing to jump in their cars to drive over, and sell me their horn. Does that seem odd, or am I just being overally cautious? Also, what is the overall reputation of these horns? I know being a TT, it will make a great classical horn, but other than that what is the impression from those of you that own or play one?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I always get suspicious when someone wants to bring it to me. I like to know where it came from and ALWAYS get a written sales agreement and at least put down their DL number and look at the photo!
As far as the horn, any bari made by one of the big companies is worth some money. Look at the condition as many are old school horns that have a lot of use (look for engraved property control numbers or where they may have been removed). See how it plays and go from there. Nothing wrong with a TT bari but some are better than others. Even the newer Aristocrats are pretty good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
I have owned a TT bari for years and it has been reliable and a pleasure to play with good tone and intonation but its a later 1929 horn with its snap in pads
Dave

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,
He told me that his son used the horn in 8th grade, and that his son had played both Tenor and Bari. Their is evidence to support this story considering that a Tenor was up for sale in the same area. He also told me the area that it was sold somewhere in Mississippi, at a music store becuase they could not find one here.
In the interested of time for both of us, and the fact that this horn popped up right when I was having to make a tough descision on another bari which was a junker. I said the latest that I would be want to see the horn was Tuesday, meaning I wanted a deal to go down Monday or Tuesday if at all possable. They wanted to meet right then, which was not really a problem, except that I was at work and on a tight leash when it comes to that job (I really can't afford to lose it).
I figured that we could get something worked out pretty quick. But I could not get ahold of my private lesson teacher, so they had to put off the sale until later this week. I am not sure how early or late this Truetone is. The horn is listed at around $500, and is in great playing condition with a Case, and mouthpiece, further supporting their story about their son playing it in school, they also told me that the lacquer was 80%. The seller seemed very knowledgable about the horn. Where they got it, and what kind of condition it was in.
Am I being overaly suspicious?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,970 Posts
Carbs said:
...they also told me that the lacquer was 80%.
Generally, TT's didn't originally come in lacquer. There is always the slight possibility that this is a TT bari made during the Aristocrat run that was originally lacquered, but that of course would depend upon the serial number. It could have been a bare brass model originally, had lacquer sprayed over its plating, or had the plating buffed off prior to lacquering. Still, even if refinished, it would be hard to beat $500 for a working bari sax.

Some folks report hard to manage low D's on these horns, so you want to pay particular attention to that area when you test the horn. Of course you also want to make sure the horn is low pitch, rather than high pitch.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses, and the information Grumps.
I will be sure to check the tuning, and the low D when I try it out. Its pretty much a done deal, right now. I moved quickly enough, so hopefully we can get the horn taken care of today. I think it was a bare brass model, later lacquered.
Things feel into place really quickly though, a little too quickly. I will let you know my opinion of the horn sometime soon. Can't wait!!!

~Carbs

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I am going to get it. Its a good price, but the seller is unknown, and seems alittle to anxious to sell their horn. It just doesn't seem right. Bad feeling, however if you live in the DFW area, and would like to chance it, let me know and I will send you the listing.

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,970 Posts
It's a Martin Home Model; basically a dumbed down version of the C Melody which plays from C1 to C3. Buescher had a similar version known as the Academy. Both deemed failures in the market and couldn't quite save the C Melody from obscurity.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are TT Baris generally better or worse if made during the Aristocrat period? And what exactly was the serial number for that period? Ive got a TT Bari here thats black inside, about %50 lacquer outside, SN 262xxx, is it in the Aristocrat period/originally came in lacquer?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got to Love Craigslist.

Life kinda caught me last time I was looking at Bari Sax's. And I was moving in on a horn here, but it was sold before I got to it.
A bit discouraged I set upon a E-bay quest but lost a horn their. As kind of a last resort, I set up a craigs list ad, and really didn't have much hope. My listing said I was looking for a Bari Sax, that was in need of an overhaul. Reason I wanted one that needed an overhaul, I can put the stuff on it I want.
Anyway I come home from school today, and a I have a response from my ad, saying that they have a Buescher TT Bari Sax, that is lacquer. Holy Crap!!! Anyway I am waiting back for price, and pictures.

Anyway that is kinda an update on my search. I hopefully will not lose this one!!

~Carbs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts