Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has experience with different variations of true tone sopranos. From pictures I can see that the G# key changed at some point in the mid 20s from a typewriter style key to a roller. The roller is more appealing to me as a player but I sometimes see the older horns going for more money. Were there other changes to the true tone around that time that make the later ones less appealing?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Tthe more modern G# is generally considered a plus and a more desirable version (hence more expensive) , in other contemporary horns Buescher introduced (but not in the soprano) also a fron tF.

The the TT type IV are generally more expensive because of that G# feature ( while you think it is the opposite).

adding to older threads only brings more results and keeps information compacted.

Just to mention... I've had a couple of TTs over the years. The best sounding one, well, tied with a beautiful gold plate Series IV I had for a while, was an early curvy with the button G# and keyed to Eb. Just to point out, if you're really going for sound, the earlier button G# instruments are every bit as good an instrument overall, except that little mechanical set back. Which, depending on what you're playing or how you like to practice, may not be a problem. I wouldn't opt for a horn without the high F again, though...
AS Grumps mentioned, the supply is different. I just sold a mint Buescher TT gold plated series IV (the most desired) for $950 whereas I have a TT straight soprano in silver for $1,450. I agree with Grumps on the Buescher Soprano being one of the best. Also these sopranos will cost a bit to redo so looking for a $200 one is next to impossible as there are techs like me who will easily pay $700 for one with a decent finish. In the past 5 years, I don't recall any TT soprano (other than a parts donor) selling for under $500 on ebay.
Both of my TT sops have the roller-style Ab key (and they come from the late 1920's). My TT alto (from the early '20s) has the button-style Ab key. I think that may be a difference among TT sops from various eras of the '20's, but I'm not sure. DAVE

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Wondering if anyone has experience with different variations of true tone sopranos. From pictures I can see that the G# key changed at some point in the mid 20s from a typewriter style key to a roller. The roller is more appealing to me as a player but I sometimes see the older horns going for more money. Were there other changes to the true tone around that time that make the later ones less appealing?
Do you ? Because as a refurbisher/seller.....the pearl G# ones are...to put it simply...kryptonite.

Nobody wants those, or those buyers who buy 'em have not done their boning up. I know folks who have tried to sell those and they usually have to remain listed for a VERY long time, or the price dropped to almost absurdly low levels. If someone has managed to sell one for a really good sum, they either have a talent for talking up their horns or the horn finish was in pristine condition.

Just my experience....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses, these were my suspicions as well.
Although it might be no problem to play the button G# in most cases, I find that if a horn has a limitation someone will 100% ask me to play that exact limitation on a gig or recording. Apologies for not finding the above quotes the first time around. I did search but didn't find the answer to this specific question.

Registered
If you install the G#-C#-B-Bb linkage (which isn't on the roller-G# True Tones, anyway) then the presence or absence of the roller no longer matters.

Are there some TTs that have the round G# button and also have the front F? To me the front F is a much much bigger deal as it's a lont harder to add that key than it is to add the G# linkage.

I believe (needs confirmation) that the old Selmer Super alto and tenor have a pearl button G# AND the G# linkage AND a front F.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
I agree that the front F is the main reason for the higher prices. Even so, I find my older ones with the round G# pearl to bring $600+ in good condition and the series III and IV with the front F to be only slightly more, around $900 so go for the later horn. The TTs are a good bargain as there were so many made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts