Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Alto and Tenor, prefer Martins Began playing March 2022
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2003 another post asked this question but they didn't get an answer about a Lyon and Healy Buescher True Tone stencil so I'll ask again. Questions on old Buescher True Tone Stencil (Tenor)
I have this same horn, serial 36070. Same plain brass buttons, it is a pretty horn. I have struggled mightily to get it playing all notes after repadding but it has been great for learning repair on. I am pretty sure it uses features from the Buescher True Tone series Ia since it has only one octave key although it doesn't have pearl buttons (saxpics.com).
Now here is the question again - Did Buescher keep the same serial number series on the stencils that they were using on their own branded saxes, at least with the True Tone series? If so then from what I can find this one is a 1917. I can't find exactly when L&H stopped using Buescher for tenor saxes.
It has been re-lacquered or maybe lacquered for the first time at some point because it is very shiny and missing very little lacquer. It also seems flimsier than my Indiana or Handcraft and its tone is pretty thin to me. I read another post here that the commenter called the keys bendy and I agree.
Musical instrument Reed instrument Human body Wood Wind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Wind instrument Saxophonist

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
37,784 Posts
Back in 2003 another post asked this question but they didn't get an answer about a Lyon and Healy Buescher True Tone stencil so I'll ask again. Questions on old Buescher True Tone Stencil (Tenor)
I have this same horn, serial 36070. Same plain brass buttons, it is a pretty horn. I have struggled mightily to get it playing all notes after repadding but it has been great for learning repair on.
Ih should not be a monumental struggle. Have you learned to check for and eliminate leaks?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ih should not be a monumental struggle. Have you learned to check for and eliminate leaks?
You know, before I put it in its case and brought it down here, I checked it with the lights off in a dark room with the leak light and though that I had all leaks eliminated. Unfortunately for me I didn't understand adjusting keys. When I tried again last night, I found leaks that were not there and I found leaks because I had not adjusted the key corks and so like the G# might not close with the F# and such. Also my felt for the low C was way too tall causing the middle D to be really stuffy. I am going to make another post in the repair section because I have some more questions.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The serial number chart makes sense to my 1920-21 L&H (TT) alto.
View attachment 140841
That is one sharp sax. I assume it is undergoing some restoration? When you get it finished maybe you could put pics of it in the Gallery here. I wish that everyone would put pics of their vintage saxes there so when others are trying to match up models they would have easy access to look at different ones.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Now here is the question again - Did Buescher keep the same serial number series on the stencils that they were using on their own branded saxes, at least with the True Tone series? If so then from what I can find this one is a 1917. I can't find exactly when L&H stopped using Buescher for tenor saxes.
Yes.
L&H stopped using Buescher in 1922 or 1923 when they started using Couturier instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts