Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just finishing a rebuild on a Buescher True Tone and previously had Doc Frazier refinish and replate the neck. On the first play test the high A is a bit stuffy and I believe that the plating may have altered the neck octave vent somewhat.

Does anyone own a True Tone Alto who can measure the neck vent opening using a drill index? I would like to take it back to the factory specs as a first step, before considering other modifications.

Any information on lower stack key heights would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have an 166xxx alto, an can measure it tonight (if I don´t forget). BTW, I have a small small tube made of corksheet in the neck vent to make the diameter smaller. This is supposed to lower the high notes somewhat. The high A is not stuffy at all.

I don't know what "drill index" means, and I'm only used metric measurements. I'll give it a try with my calipers once my kids are sleeping.

Kulos

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A drill index is a set of graduated drill bits that can be inserted into the vent. Using a go - no go fitting, one can come very close to the actual size. Calipers may work but would not be as accurate. If there is something inside the vent, then that measurement will be interesting, but it is not what I am looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Did you playtest before sending out for plating? did the neck have significant dent work done? Plating thicknes would not be the culprit on this one. If "stuffy" means hissy A2 and above it's surely that the pip had too large a diameter to begin with (not uncommon on True Tone pre 23X.XXX horns, altos and tenors)

The optimum neck pip diameter for a true tone alto is smaller than 2mm (anything between 1.75 and 2 depending on neck taper and/or damage repaired or present)

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I did not have the opportunity to play test either the sax or the neck prior to the plating. The measurement of the neck octave vent is 2.48 mm at the present time. It did not look as if it had ever been altered prior to my ownership.

The G key which vents the A has sufficient opening compared to other altos I have worked on and played, but the A itself is stuffy---not hissy, just unclear and resistant compared to the notes around it. I am going to try some different reeds and mouthpieces today to get a better feel.

Since you are the resident Buescher expert, let me ask you how open you set the keys on these vintage saxes to get the best tone, response, and pitch. I have worked on and play tested a couple of Buescher 400 TH&C saxes that blew me away with the sound and pitch. Maybe my expectations of the True Tone are too high to begin with compared to the classier later models.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Too large a neck pip is a common Buescher maladity on altoe. Especially below 23XXXX serials.If this is the case it would show playing A2 and above. I set them keys a hair under 5/16ths (7mm exactly) on the A key. Not an expert, I must add, just been doing a lot of Bueschers most of my repairman life.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
The vent on one I have here is 2.25. The plating in the vent is not as thick as on the outside. In order to get the same buildup would mean installing an anode inside the vent (without touching the sides!). Plating inside tubes is not the same as exterior plating since the current flow is not the same.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
I am just finishing a rebuild on a Buescher True Tone... On the first play test the high A is a bit stuffy and I believe that the plating may have altered the neck octave vent somewhat.
I assume the stuffy A got sorted? The fix turned out to be...?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
I agree the plating would not go inside the neck pip whilst being plated, this would not alter the internal dimensions of the neck pip in any form "theoretical or pratical"

Doc, have you ever measured how thick your plating is, I would of hand estimate most plating, to be around 0.0012" thick. But curious to whether youve ever measured

1 - 9 of 9 Posts