Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
I have a nice 1926 Buescher True Tone series III alto in my workshop that I'd like to get moving on, but I realized after looking it over that it was missing part of the octave mechanism.
I've had a few earlier True Tones through here, although none at the moment, and for some reason I thought maybe the mechanism changed a little on the later ones.......am I right or was it the same mech for the whole run?

I'm wanting to track down a parts horn and it will be good to know if I can grab any old True Tone or just a later one...thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
929 Posts
They changed it (to the point they're not interchangeable.) some time around 200xxx, maybe someone here has a better idea of the exact serial?
A 1687xx tenor definitely has a different mechanism for it than a 224xxx tenor (I think, my tenor of that serial range is at home and I can't check that until later tonight.)
I'll check if the 205xxx alto I have has the earlier or later mech out of the two I've seen tonight.
(I'll also check saxpics and a few other places to see if I can narrow it down faster.)
Edit: changeover is earlier, at least before 181xxx. This one's got the later style. http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=5673
Edit 2:
1689xx http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=5678
Assuming that the tenor and alto moved over at the same time, which they very well may not, I played on one of the last few tenors with that octave mechanism for 3 years, then.
another edit: my alto also has it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I thought there was some difference. I was going on memory, last early True Tone through the shop was a few months ago and I've worked on a lot of horns in that time. Looks like I might have to find a later one.........
Mark

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the keywork but I can get the small box shaped brass sliding part that most have on the levers. Let me know if you get stuck for one.
Here's what I have, can't say for sure what all I need, I think there's a small section of key work that holds the pin, it would be held in the empty tube I have on my horn by a key rod. Photograph Red Gas Wood Auto part

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't have the keywork but I can get the small box shaped brass sliding part that most have on the levers. Let me know if you get stuck for one.
Would you happen to have that for tenor, also?
I'd like to avoid having my repairman make me a new chunk of the octave key, which would be a bit more difficult than otherwise for repairing it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well still wondering about this, surprised no one here has an earlier Series I/II to compare with a Series III/IV so we can get an answer to this question. Anyone? Really itching to get the Series III going, its a gem!
Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
They changed it (to the point they're not interchangeable.) some time around 200xxx, maybe someone here has a better idea of the exact serial?
A 1687xx tenor definitely has a different mechanism for it than a 224xxx tenor (I think, my tenor of that serial range is at home and I can't check that until later tonight.)
I'll check if the 205xxx alto I have has the earlier or later mech out of the two I've seen tonight.
(I'll also check saxpics and a few other places to see if I can narrow it down faster.)
Edit: changeover is earlier, at least before 181xxx. This one's got the later style. Photo Gallery :: SaxPics.com
Edit 2:
1689xx Photo Gallery :: SaxPics.com
Assuming that the tenor and alto moved over at the same time, which they very well may not, I played on one of the last few tenors with that octave mechanism for 3 years, then.
another edit: my alto also has it.

Hi

I'm looking for an "octave lever" for a 1921 Buescher True Tone alto.

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,882 Posts
Well still wondering about this, surprised no one here has an earlier Series I/II to compare with a Series III/IV so we can get an answer to this question. Anyone? Really itching to get the Series III going, its a gem!
Mark
Looks like you’re just missing the last portion of the pn. This goes into the halo that operates the octave key on neck. Has the pin snapped off or is ther a hollow tube ?
Gas Auto part Engineering Household hardware Nickel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts