Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
Well, I suppose if these threads that get revived through the "suggested" posts can bring one down, they can also uplift. I first met John at one of the Sax Symposiums on a Winter day. He graciously invited me inside his Datsun for a smoke; a car filled with junk, trash... and Bueschers. He drove all the way from Cleveland to Fairfax Virginia for the event annually, and often enough through some serious snow storms. He and I shared a penchant for restaurant rage, though he was much more vocal in this regard, and you never dared overcook his steak. While waiting for his bar tab one night before the Navy concert band performance, fearing he'd be late, he bellowed to the young lady at the far end of the bar, "Barkeep!!!" Which of course became mine and Martysax's rallying cry for all Symposiums to follow. At the last Symposium he attended, our hardcore group of John, Marty, MojoBari and I, were all recognized by the Navy guys putting together the event as "SOTW Goodwill Ambassadors" and were given the same badges to wear as the distinguished guest performers (though of course Mojo was always distinguished in this regard, hosting legit mouthpiece workshops on the schedule from time to time). Oh the times we had, walking around the event with a case full of booze, hobnobbing with Professor Houlik, crashing the backstage meet and greet after the Commodores' show year after year, and getting into it with the likes of Branford Marsalis and others. This was before we even had the badges. We'd just walk back there and point and wave like we belonged. We don't need no stinkin' badges...

I miss you Saintsday. So very much.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ive bought a " script model" 1951 a couple of years back anybody know which neck model this would be most like . It seems a moderate taper to me octaves are fine .⁶

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
824 Posts
Coming in to comment months after the fact, but...
Saintsday (John) was a good online friend of mine, and we had lots of private messages over the years.
He hand-picked from his personal stash a matching pair of 1950-1951 script-engraved Buescher 140 and 156, and they are favorites in my collection. John was a fount of Buescher knowledge, and I miss both his friendship and his voice in the Buescher forum.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts