Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many threads on this topic but much confusion
Correct me if i'm wrong...:
With true tone there was #1 neck. But with very late tt (just before NA) there added #* and #** (or so called #02. Why is it also called #02? does anybody know?). And then (with aristocrats) came #01 and #03
But what about necks with no number? For example a neck from true tone, but with no number - can it be a not original neck, from stencil?

It is said that #01 and #03 are the best (even on true tone they improve tuning, comparing to the original #1 neck). But from my experience, it is nothing wrong with #1 neck at all. So with #01 and #03 it's all clear.. #01 - best tuning, #03 - best responce, altissimo. But what about different necks that came with true tones? I mean #1, #*, #** and maybe necks with no number. How do they compare? When did the #1 neck appear? what was before?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,910 Posts
But from my experience, it is nothing wrong with #1 neck at all.
Problem solved!!

But seriously, you are not alone in having no problems with the "1" neck. I find you've got to be careful when you get above A in the upper register, but otherwise they play fine for me. On the other hand, some people have trouble with them.

On True Tone altos I've seen "1" and "*".

I'm pretty sure all the other variants you're talking about appeared after Buescher introduced the "New Aristocrat".

"01" is supposed to have the most even intonation, and supposedly it's the same neck taper as what you find on the early Aristocrats after the "New Aristocrat" was phased out.

I forget what the "02" neck is supposed to be.

I understand that "03" neck is supposed to play more "open" or with a faster response. Sigurd Rascher is supposed to have played a "03" neck on his New Aristocrat.

I think the conventional wisdom about the "**" is that it's the same thing as "02", but I could be wrong about that. Or anything I just posted, for that matter!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When do you think #1 appeared? In what serial number range? Have you played both - "1" and earlier "no markings" neck?

I've read (from jicaino and Gayle Fredenburgh posts) that 10 neck is really 01 neck..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
My TT alto has no markings on the neck. Serial is 153XXX and from the various lists I've seen, I'm guessing it comes from 1925 - has the button G#, no front F, and non-articulated pinky table. I've never played a different neck on it - found no need to do that. The horn is superb. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Here is Mark Aronson's take on the necks:

"The transitional necks were #1, #2, #3...if marked with star/asterisk they indicate the same tapers. The #1 is the fastest taper...end bore at 0.465...#2 intermediate taper endbore 0.475 (very similar to the True Tone #1 neck); #3 slower taper...endbore 0.480.

The #1 has the best intonation...great octaves......the #3 the best response and ease of blowing and sound....poorest octaves...lots of stretch in the high register.

My custom necks are available in #1 and #3 taper. I can retaper any Buescher neck to approximate these tapers on request....cost $125. I do quite a few #2 transitional necks to #3 taper...and quite a few True Tones necks to #1 transitional taper.

Most Buescher aficionados/Rascher students prefer the #3 neck hands down (90/10). A few fine players (a la my exwife and Tom Gorin) prefer the #1 transitional taper neck due to its fine intonation qualities. I like the #3 because of the way it responds/sounds/blows....voices great. Mr. Rascher preferred the #3 neck after testing all the Buescher necks as well......both of his transitionals were equipped with the #3 taper neck. This neck became the mainstream neck design for the later Aristocrat instruments.....they are all large bore at 0.480."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This applies to Aristocrat necks. So they are - 01, 02 (**), 03. Not 1, 2, 3

For me the main interest is in true tones and their necks. I've tried some tt after 200xxx and one tt before (it was 52xxx) and I liked the early one better for its tone. It was simply charming. More naive. And the late true tones sounded more... modern, more projection maybe, more power, so a little more pretentious. So I want to know what are the main differences between early and late tt's (body shape, neck, bell) and when did this occured.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
So, ** neck is what number, please?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
Yeah, folks need to set "What's New" as their home/login page. Otherwise you get the "Recommended For You", which brings back long dead threads in an effort to better manipulate and spy upon you. Management has refused to deactivate their recommendations, though there have been numerous complaints. Silly really, as it distracts from current conversations, misleads people into believing they're providing help to members long gone and often enough, resurrects old grudges and bad information.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
this Buescher neck thread will never tire - understandably

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hmmm...
Does anyone know why Saintsday hasn't been active here in the last five years?
Just saw his post here and got reminded of his absence.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,720 Posts
Yeah, folks need to set "What's New" as their home/login page. Otherwise you get the "Recommended For You", which brings back long dead threads in an effort to better manipulate and spy upon you. Management has refused to deactivate their recommendations, though there have been numerous complaints. Silly really, as it distracts from current conversations, misleads people into believing they're providing help to members long gone and often enough, resurrects old grudges and bad information.
"Spy on you"??? Seriously?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts