Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked out a 1926 Buescher True Tone alto, it plays just ok but it definitely needs a few pads replaced and some tweeking to bring it up to par. The finish has me wondering....it has a silver plate on the outside but if you look in the bell it is gold. Anyone know of this? Is this possible a half @$$ refin?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete....wasn't sure about that...now if I can get it at a decent price...LOL I also checked with a local shop here and they quoted me $125-$150 for repairs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pete's right; it's a gold wash. I think it's most famous on the King Silversonics, (those are certainly the first horns I ever heard of with it) but it also turns up on vintage Conns, Martins, and Selmers in the 20s-50s. I don't think it ever completely went away, but its popularity faded.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was impressed that there are no dings/dents in it for as old as it is. the mouth piece is in nice condition and plays pretty good considering the leaks. Not sure if it is the original mp tho, there are some scratches on the bite plate but it isn't grooved from playing. The finish is actually pretty good, it is worn from the thumb rest to the strap hook on the left( looks like it was rubbing against the players jacket/shirt) but not too bad. There are some pads/springs that need replacing and some leaks, but the local shop here said $150 or less to fix it, and about $500 for total re-pad. As far as the price goes, I know the guy who has it, he got it from a estate sale and I know he didn't pay a lot for it, I'm thinking I can get it for$400 or less.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
I was impressed that there are no dings/dents in it for as old as it is. the mouth piece is in nice condition and plays pretty good considering the leaks. Not sure if it is the original mp tho, there are some scratches on the bite plate but it isn't grooved from playing.
The original mouthpiece would not have had a bite plate, just plain hard rubber beak.

and about $500 for total re-pad. As far as the price goes, I know the guy who has it, he got it from a estate sale and I know he didn't pay a lot for it, I'm thinking I can get it for$400 or less.
I would hop if it needs a total repad for $500, then you get it for considerably less than $400

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
If the repad includes a total cleaning and all the works, it may be worth doing it. But like Pete said, $400 is a bit on the upper end, not that it isn't really worth it, it is really hard to put a $ value on these horns and you may end up with a killer instrument after everything is done. I know folks who wouldn't trade their vintage altos for anything and the TT is about as good as a vintage horn can get.

Without any additional info it is not possible to advise you on whether you will be better off with the partial or whether you really need a complete overhaul but if you intend to keep it, do yourself the favor and spend the extra money, it's $40/ month over a year, that's like once a month dining out by yourself

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,927 Posts
Actually I sell the ones with the plate/roller G# touch completely refurbished for around $725-750. So....really, one of those in 'project' condition only has a market value of around $250-ish. $300-325 maybe if in very good plating coverage and no body/neck issues.

Thus a $900 total investment wouldn't exactly be a steal. It'd be overpaying a bit.

So $275-325 is a fair price to offer for the horn in current shape.

BIG question, Willy: is the G# pinky touch a metal plate semicircle, or a round pearl ? 1926 puts serial at around 202,XXX and the change from the round pearl to the metal plate happened right around 1925 (horns as high as serial 198,XXX still have the pearl touch).

If it has the metal touch, then my numbers above are correct. If it has the pearl touch, then those TT's are actually worth VERY little on the market, as in $150 for a project horn and perhaps $400 for one in good playing shape.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Curious, Jaye, why are the earlier round pearl models worth less? Is it really just the G# touch, or were other design improvements made around 1925?

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Actually I sell the ones with the plate/roller G# touch completely refurbished for around $725-750. So....really, one of those in 'project' condition only has a market value of around $250-ish. $300-325 maybe if in very good plating coverage and no body/neck issues.

Thus a $900 total investment wouldn't exactly be a steal. It'd be overpaying a bit.
I would argue that as $725 -750 is a fair price from a reputable dealer, then it should still be less than that from ebay or estate sale, so if it needs $500 I would not pay more than $100/150 - you'd be better off just buying one from Jay.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Well, one item is the presence or absence of the front high F which I think roughly (or maybe exactly) coincides with the change from the round button G# key.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,927 Posts
Zoot, quite honestly....IMHO the G# key is enough to kill it for me.
...I know of nobody who actually likes a round pearl G#.
And they are absolute kryptonite on the market as far as a seller point of view.
Makes an older TT actually not worth restoring if one's intention is to remotely come close to breaking even on resale after workup.

It's a pretty terrible design, whereas the subsequent plate roller is quite nice and makes the pinky table very OK....

Willy, that is cool news. So it's one of the first where they switched over to the better pinky table.

So, yeah....the numbers I noted above are applicable. If for some reason you want one of these and cannot get seller to budge below $350, let me know.

Best of luck.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,054 Posts
I played a TT bari with a pearl G# for years. It’s really not very difficult to get used to, but I understand that people in the market might shy away. For me, the only deal killer would be if a horn is only keyed to Eb, even the front F is no big deal.

Most improvements since the 20s I think were more about marketing than function. That might not be a popular opinion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So.... I was able to show this to someone who really gave it a good look....pads in good shape, some regulation needed and maybe a spring or two. His estimate less than $200. Owner is asking $500, I offered$300....now just a waiting game.

So here are a few pictures...enjoy!!!

Attachments

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts
Hope it works for you. JayeLID estimates seem accurate to me,
Your offer is fair- you could go up to $50 and still call it a find.
There were a lot of these horns around but more popular recently prices going up.
I have been using my TT series IV for two years now, paid $250 eBay + $850 overhaul w/ new pads; the same or less condition, maybe a bit less.{see album}
Love the horn, Pinky on G# no problem, but the C# on that pinky table is just to close in for my wide hand. You have to hit that tab right at the roller upper inside and I miss hit it all the time.
I will never get more $ out of this horn than what I have in it -but who cares-
I enjoy playing it now and its so well made it will be played on somewhere after I'm long gone.

I have a Big B also, and the TT is a bit heavier and solid silver plate.
it's really almost the same horn. [ see photos in Re: Buescher series 1 vs series 2 big b]

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ies-1-vs-series-2-big-b&p=3821254#post3821254

Some say the TT is not as loud- but it can liven up, switch up mouthpieces, Meyer or Metalite on the TT it will compete with the Big B.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts