Sax on the Web Forum banner

Buescher True-Tone ergos?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  bruce bailey 
#1 ·
Those of you who are playing or have played a Buescher True Tone, what do you think of the ergonomics? The vintage sax article on this site calls the keywork a bit "slow." What's your opinion?

#3 ·
I think it depends on the model. True tones had several changes in the key placement, shape, etc. throughout production. It's outlined really well on saxpics.com. The later ones are pretty decent, with the half circle G# roller and such. I play on a True Tone Soprano (curved) and love it, a couple of ergonomic challenges initially but after some work and instruction from a couple of great teachers, my technique is pretty darn good! I don't even use palm key risers. I did, however, have the pearl G# removed and a roller G# (similar to what came standard on later True Tones) added.

#4 ·
I grew up on a King Zephyr alto, so I'm not used to modern ergos in any case. And my Zephyr definitely has studier action. :)

I'm talking a later one, by the way, with roller G# and such.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

#5 ·
I had a True Tone tenor and though it was a lovely horn, I found my right thumb would get sore after playing it for a while.

It was a button-G# model (193k range - 1926 vintage). I never found a problem with the button G# key, it was only the RH thumb.

#6 ·
It's awkward at first, but you get used to it. The only bad thing is the placement of the e flat key, which you kinda have to bend your pinky to hit, and it goes sideways, not down. The small g sharp key is also a bit weird. The palm keys are fine if you use palm key risers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.