Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won an auction on Ebay (dum...dum...dum:twisted:) for a satin silver Buescher True Tone Alto. Call me stupid for doing that, but we just don't get any vintage saxes where I come from. And new and "decent" saxes cost around $ So I had to take the chance. The horn is on it's way. Will arrive in less than 2 weeks if all goes well. Will keep you posted.

Serial #246xxx
I did some digging and made a few assumptions. Please try to confirm the following for me:
1) This horn is made in (late) 1929. Seeing that the serials from 1930 starts with 255xxx and the 1928 serials starts with 245xxx.

Anything else you'd like to share? :lick:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Congrats on what I assume is your first Buescher!

Stupid for buying a True Tone? If that's the case, then I don't know what that makes me (I have several :mrgreen:).

That's generally considered a great period to buy, as they have front F...as well as roller G# and Bb spatula keys (in addition to a few other little changes).

IMO they're great playing alto's, and for whatever reason I tend to prefer playing my True Tone's more than the Aristocrat alto's I have. To my ears a TT has a more rounded, full quality to the sound (if that makes any sense).

FWIW, it does look to be a '29...which would make it one of the late TT's, not too far from when the New Aristocrat's were introduced. The key layout might take a little while to get used to depending on what you're playing right now, but after you get used to that, you may not want to go back to your other sax. Or even worse...you might just have to buy another Buescher! :twisted:.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
IMO they're great playing alto's, and for whatever reason I tend to prefer playing my True Tone's more than the Aristocrat alto's I have. To my ears a TT has a more rounded, full quality to the sound (if that makes any sense).
I'm glad to hear someone else say this because I have had exactly the same experience. I like my Aristocrat tenors so much that at one point I bought an Aristocrat alto and was able to compare it directly with my '29 True Tone. I wanted to like the 'Crat more (hey I had just bought it!), but while it had a great tone it still wasn't as full and sweet as the TT. I ended up selling the 'Crat and keeping the TT, which I've had since high school (late '60s).

These are great horns Skoothondjie (especially the later ones like you got). You're gonna love that horn! It will certainly blow away your Omega, especially in tone quality. Even though these True tones go for very low prices they play & sound better than most horns in that $2700 range (and more expensive ones for that matter).

I won't call you stupid at all. Wise, smart, intelligent, or just plain lucky, would all apply. :)

Be sure to get it put into good playing condition. It will be worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I decided to try to expand my skills into repairing saxophones, I got a Selmer stencil of a TT alto because it was inexpensive and came with a clarinet I wanted to add to my collection. Sounds like, if I work carefully and don't try to rush anything, I may end up with an instrument that is more than just one to practice repairs on. Blind luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Is that SA $$ or US? That sounds like a lot of money for a TT if it is US. Gee, I have been selling the same ones for around $750 in great working order and silver plate. Whatever it is, these can be great players and have the roller G# and front F.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I've had about 100 Buescher altos from late model 400s back to early twenties True Tones, and I still keep going back to my 22x,xxx tarnished silver True Tone. You did well. I would doubt that the proper replacement pads are available locally for you, but you can get them from Music Medic if you can't find a local tech who has an account at Ferree's. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll definitely keep you posted :rabbit:
Latest update: the sax is in for an overhaul. Will take 2-3 weeks to complete.

The repairman I decided on will use Prestini pads. I'm 100% sure about that.
The line of pads - and about this I'm 90% sure - will be the DS line with plastic resonators.

Opinions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Your sax originally came with snap-in metal backed pads. The resonators were metal that snapped onto buds welded in the center of pad cups. If the snaps are still there, please don't let the tech grind the buds off. Instead, go back with original metal backed pads. But if the buds have already been removed, then modern pads are fine. The buds on my 1927 TT alto are long gone. So I went back with black roopads with Airtight domed Noyek resonators.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I bought an early TrueTone matte-silver-plated/gold-wash-bell alto off eBay several years ago (serial 15xxxx). It has the pearl-button G# and no front F. It looked well used, but playable.

Noted repair-tech Rheuben Allen did the overhaul. When I got it back, it was stunning. He said it was the finest TT alto he'd seen. He did not do snap-in pads and frankly I don't know if he left the snap-in buds or not. The horn has Selmer-style resos. But this horn will put the lie to the claims that only snap-in pads will do true justice to an old Buescher. Now, the horn is my go-to alto among seven altos of various marques and vintage, from a 1920's King to a Selmer Ref 54. An amazing alto in all respects.

If your overhaul is done correctly, you should get years of playing pleasure from it. DAVE

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad to hear someone else say this because I have had exactly the same experience. I like my Aristocrat tenors so much that at one point I bought an Aristocrat alto and was able to compare it directly with my '29 True Tone. I wanted to like the 'Crat more (hey I had just bought it!), but while it had a great tone it still wasn't as full and sweet as the TT. I ended up selling the 'Crat and keeping the TT, which I've had since high school (late '60s).

These are great horns Skoothondjie (especially the later ones like you got). You're gonna love that horn! It will certainly blow away your Omega, especially in tone quality. Even though these True tones go for very low prices they play & sound better than most horns in that $2700 range (and more expensive ones for that matter).

I won't call you stupid at all. Wise, smart, intelligent, or just plain lucky, would all apply. :)

Be sure to get it put into good playing condition. It will be worth it.
JL, what's the serial # on your '29 TT?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought an early TrueTone matte-silver-plated/gold-wash-bell alto off eBay several years ago (serial 15xxxx). It has the pearl-button G# and no front F. It looked well used, but playable.

Noted repair-tech Rheuben Allen did the overhaul. When I got it back, it was stunning. He said it was the finest TT alto he'd seen. He did not do snap-in pads and frankly I don't know if he left the snap-in buds or not. The horn has Selmer-style resos. But this horn will put the lie to the claims that only snap-in pads will do true justice to an old Buescher. Now, the horn is my go-to alto among seven altos of various marques and vintage, from a 1920's King to a Selmer Ref 54. An amazing alto in all respects.

If your overhaul is done correctly, you should get years of playing pleasure from it. DAVE
Thanks Dave.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
On the other hand, if you do have the original snaps, you hurt the value of the horn by removing them. At the very least, if they are still there save them and pass them on to another Buescher fan. If they are gone, read Mr. Dolson's post again.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts