Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I purchased a 1928 Buescher True Tone Alto no too long ago but it it's missing the front F (or Auxilary F) key leaver (that connects the front F with palm F). Any chance you have advice where I could find / source one?
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I could ask in the professional repair forums if anyone has a True Tone "parts horn" for you. If that doesn't work out, it wouldn't be that hard for a skilled tech to fabricate one. You'd probably end up paying a lot more for the one made from scratch due to the time it takes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your note, saxoclese. I asked to repair pros to make it and they would not do it, advised I look for the part. I would be interested to know what it costs to get a parts True Tone. Mine is 1928.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Thank you for your note, saxoclese. I asked to repair pros to make it and they would not do it, advised I look for the part. I would be interested to know what it costs to get a parts True Tone. Mine is 1928.
That's easy. Watch Ebay and go to garage sales and pawn shops in your area. At Ebay I would look under the category "for parts or repair". Sometimes the ones in the "used" category are selling at low prices as well---especially if the neck is missing. :)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Did the horn originally have it and it's missing? In that case one from another instrument could be adapted. If it never had it the installation would be more complicated probably requiring two posts to be installed.

In neither case is this a highly technical or exotic modification. You probably need to ask some better repair people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your thoughts, truf3 and advise, saxoclese. The horn was designed with that option but the part is missing (bizarre).

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It's a relatively simple part, so would only cost 2 or 3 hundred $ to make from scratch. :) (Like making parts for vintage cars - -mostly done for love or for a lot of $. It's tedious!)
If you are prepared to pay then a good tech can do it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I would say, take one off a junk horn and modify. Should be a lot faster than trying to make the part from scratch. Of course if you can find a junker Buescher with the front F that's first prize although it would still probably require some fettling.

Are you missing the part with the pearl, or the little rocker that rides between two posts and lifts the F key?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
That may involve modifying almost every dimension to make it fit and function. ON the other hand you might be very lucky.
I find, in general, that I just waste a heck of a lot of time trying to find an appropriate part, and I could have made it in less than that time.
Fine if your time does not represent money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As someone who has made more than my fair share of saxophone keys, I agree with Gordon that there are many times when it's better to simply build what you want than to hunt down something close and modify from there. But this is not one of those instances. The Bundy Alto (which may well be the most common saxophone ever) is a direct descendant of your Buescher. Of all the things that changed over the years, there was very little change to the F-Rocker. The modifications required to fit a Bundy part to your Buescher are probably no more instensive than fitting the Bundy part to another Bundy. There's a very good chance of finding a used part that can be fit. Some 'New-Old-Stock' Bundy parts are still available wholesale, with a retail price of just over $50 (+ installation).

Here are links to a couple pictures found on the internet which show the similarity. (I hope that works):

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...alto_saxophone_767989i_large.jpg?v=1501856662
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0831/2515/products/BUEgoldtt5654_3.jpg?v=1456940870

Best of luck with it.

Brian

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Brian has come up with an exquisite solution that demonstrates the depth of his knowledge about saxophones and their "workings". Brian is being a bit modest in saying he has made "his fair share of saxophone keys". For those not familiar with Brian's work and degree of skill in this area, here is a link to a thread a few years back. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ly-Tenor-Sax&p=1952479&viewfull=1#post1952479

i just want to publicly thank Brian for all the contributions he has made to the band instrument profession especially the hinge tube cutters he designed and makes which have taken my key fitting skills to a higher level.

Just found this on Ebay. Front F rocker Bundy II It just might work. The price is good as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts