Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found this in a pawn shop on Christmas Eve. It is a 1926 matte silver True Tone alto serial number 206,xxx. No dings or scratches, it is really clean. Pads are good, everything works and it plays well enough to keep up with me. It came with an old Otto Link Tone Edge piece that I really like. I know some people don't like these but I like the bit of raspiness it is capable of. When I want sweetness I have a Steve Broadus piece that is really smooth on my Martin Indiana.
We got this for a killer price. I cleaned out some Chinese altos last month, so my wife was OK with bringing this home.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Sweet! I can't get enough of these "split bell key" altos. Is the neck stamped with anything? "01" perhaps?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
The "1" is a standard, late alto True Tone neck. The "01" came later with the New Aristocrat model. My '28 TT alto came with the "1" neck, but down the road I was lucky enough to find a "01" Aristocrat neck which alleviates the sharpness I'd experience above A2. Yours might play sharp up top, or maybe not. A looser lip up there will fix it.

Great old horns built to last lifetimes. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip! I'll check the intonation after supper and see if it needs something done.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
LUCKY YOU!! What a find! On Christmas Eve! Congrats!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
....I know some people don't like these but I like the bit of raspiness it is capable of. .
Very nice indeed and no....people DO like these, its the earlier models ( noting wrong with them) without the G# with a roller and the front F ( I am not sure this has one) that are, in comparison to model III and IV, less desirable, then there is this matter of the neck (which I haven’t been able to really feel because the 1 neck was very good for me).

If you even got it cheap way more power to you.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Gorgeous horn, I have a few of those, love them (one of them is for parts if needed). if you need pads, the B58 Ferree's Tools series are the correct thickness for all pads under 30 mm diameter, the larger pads work fine with the regular thickness. The snap-ins are a breeze to install once you get the hang of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Eastern Music unlacquered power neck tenor and a Jean Paul AC-400.
2,005 Posts
Nice score! Really sweet sounding horns and very resonant. I miss the one I had.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
shouldn’t be too difficult to replace if you miss it!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
....people DO like these.
Milandro beat me to it. Most of those who have actually played one of these (assuming the horn was in good condition) end up liking them a great deal. Especially the tone quality. I have one that I got in high school back in the '60s (yes, I still have it!). Don't play much alto these days, but it's a great horn. That one you got is a beauty.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Was the OP maybe referring to the Tone Edge that some people may not like? I didn't seem to me that he was speaking of the horn...
I have the model just before this one with the button G#. It's a little cumbersome but it still has a sweet sound. And, yes it's a little sharp up top.
Good score!!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
Was the OP maybe referring to the Tone Edge that some people may not like? I didn't seem to me that he was speaking of the horn...
Good catch. After re-reading the post I think you're correct (perhaps the OP could chime in and clarify). But actually I have a Tone Edge Link that I played on my TT alto and liked it quite a lot. But as I said, I haven't played the alto much in the past few years; tenor is my main horn.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "1" is a standard, late alto True Tone neck. The "01" came later with the New Aristocrat model. My '28 TT alto came with the "1" neck, but down the road I was lucky enough to find a "01" Aristocrat neck which alleviates the sharpness I'd experience above A2. Yours might play sharp up top, or maybe not. A looser lip up there will fix it.

Great old horns built to last lifetimes. Enjoy it!
Yea, this one plays a little sharp above A2. My Martin seems like it goes a little sharp also, but not as much. My chromatic tuner has developed a selective hearing disorder so I am waiting for Amazon to send me a replacement.

So, is it pronounced "busher" or "boosher" or something else?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good catch. After re-reading the post I think you're correct (perhaps the OP could chime in and clarify). But actually I have a Tone Edge Link that I played on my TT alto and liked it quite a lot. But as I said, I haven't played the alto much in the past few years; tenor is my main horn.
Yes I was referring to the Tone Edge Link that seems to get some negative comments. I like the sound of it on the Buescher so far and I need to go downstairs and try it on the Martin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Eastern Music unlacquered power neck tenor and a Jean Paul AC-400.
2,005 Posts
shouldn’t be too difficult to replace if you miss it!
Missing and needing are two very different things my friend! Currently in the less is more mode of horn ownership so...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
So, is it pronounced "busher" or "boosher" or something else?
"Bisher" is generally the excepted pronunciation. There's a poster from Buescher that says "Just say Bisher!" on it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts