Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently rescued a silver-plated Buescher tru-tone (low pitch, serial# 74140) from Goodwill. Someone decided to clean it and left quite a bit gunk, which I am cleaning off. However, it has a broken spring (needs to be 2" long) and needs new pads. Any suggestions about where I could get a single spring and also what kind of pad set I can order? Will alto fit? This is going to be do-it-yourself project because I can't afford to have it professionally restored.

As a side note, it has an interesting wood (rosewood?) mouthpiece: "Buffet Crampon & Cie Paris." Does anyone know about this mouthpiece?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,032 Posts
MusicMedic is my choice too. If you are unable to measure the pad cups, they can supply pads by sets given the serial number.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,808 Posts
You might take a look at this thread I started, as I am also re-padding a TT alto: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?157614-Help-With-Summer-Buescher-TT-Project

There's a lot of useful information there, in between the thread-fights!!

First thing you ought to determine, though, is whether your horn has snap-on pads. I'm not sure just when Buescher started using those; they did not on the earlier horns, and yours has a pretty early serial number.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
MusicMedic wouldn't be MY choice or suggestion...unless you have repdadded several other horns.

If this is gonna be your first endeavor, you really do NOT want to be using the Precision Pads which MM sells. Matter of fact, you don't wanna particularly use their shellac, either...it isn't the most workable stuff.

This isn't to dis' Curt, because I buy stuff from there occasionally...but, although MM has the "starter kit", the fact is that things became a whole lot easier once I had exhausted the starter kit and actually started getting my pads from shopforband.com or Ferree's, and switched to better shellacs from Ferree's or Allied.

It's an interesting contradiction, a kit marketed for beginners which does not contain beginner/user-friendly parts and supplies.

One can argue (correctly) that the MM Precision Pads are of a high quality....but they also require a very experienced hand to really set them well; their margin of error isn't large. The type of hand which takes time to develop, is all. Installing & seating either of the aforementioned pads is significantly easier for a relative novice. And while their pads are almost an industry standard...one cannot particularly argue that about their shellac . Sets too quickly and is too brittle. No tech around here uses their shellacs, there are really much better brands out there.

As far as springs...if your intention is to do more of these in the future....just buy a set of springs to have; they aren't expensive.

Don't buy pad sets. Get a sliding or electronic caliper and measure each key cup...pad sets are guaranteed to have several pads of the incorrect size for any vintage horn, basically.

Best of luck with the endeavor.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
Will alto fit?
I'm not a tech, so take the other's advice on here, but if what you have is an alto (you don't say if it's alto, tenor, soprano, or what), then yes I would think alto pads are what you're after.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My first repad was with precision pads, though I had no knowledge that they were newbie unfriendly, but got everything to seal and regulate fine after weeks of work. I ordered everything from music medic it's so easy and couldn't order things in bulk since I'm just a DIY-er. They have buescher pads for snap ins so it won't hurt to shoot them an email and ask questions. Before you order pads check if they are snap ins first. A lot of those old bueschers have a mix of regular pads and snap ins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts