Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My '27-28 Buescher TT alto's thumb ring has wear in a strange spot. I've tried to play using this place for my sax strap hook and found it impossible.
Does anyone know what kind of neck strap would make this wear spot?

Wood Door Gas Metal Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,950 Posts
You mean "strap ring" right?

Using any strap with a bare metal hook (especially one with a steel hook) will eventually do this.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean "strap ring" right?

Using any strap with a bare metal hook (especially one with a steel hook) will eventually do this.
Yes, of course. My mistake.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After many years of normal wear, it was attached/re-attached upside down.
Logical. I‘ll have a closer look to see any signs of re-attaching. Actually, the pic shows soldering signs.
Q. answered. Thanks, Lydian.

Reactions: lydian

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Logical. I‘ll have a closer look to see any signs of re-attaching.
Logical. I‘ll have a closer look to see any signs of re-attaching. Actually, the pic shows soldering signs.
Q. answered. Thanks, Lydian.
Thinkin’ ’bout how many hours this horn was played before I got it. I wonder if the player was a pro? I do know of an alto player who practiced so much he had to have this done to his sax. Campbell Ryga is the player. Listening to Cam will convince most that he has put in many hours of practice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,606 Posts
Thinkin’ ’bout how many hours this horn was played before I got it. I wonder if the player was a pro? I do know of an alto player who practiced so much he had to have this done to his sax. Campbell Ryga is the player. Listening to Cam will convince most that he has put in many hours of practice.
It is a function of the strap hook - if they had bothered to notice the wear and did something to avoid it, then the damage would not be there. Not all pros abuse their horns - not all wear is a sign of typical use. Sometimes extreme wear is just a relic of abuse or neglect. How is the wear on the rest of the horn - like rods and pivots?

Facts aside, it makes a great story.

·
Registered
210 Posts
After many years of normal wear, it was attached/re-attached upside down.
I had an email this morning from my tech about wear on the strap ring of my Zephyr tenor that he is finishing up. Do I want him to reinforce it, flip it upside down (like this was) or both.
I chose both.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a function of the strap hook - if they had bothered to notice the wear and did something to avoid it, then the damage would not be there. Not all pros abuse their horns - not all wear is a sign of typical use. Sometimes extreme wear is just a relic of abuse or neglect. How is the wear on the rest of the horn - like rods and pivots?

Facts aside, it makes a great story.
Rods and pivots are fine. How could this be avoided, as you mention? The player that wore the ring out could have remedied the problem by re-soldering it upside down. Yeah, good story.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,950 Posts
How could this be avoided, as you mention?
By using a plastic hook, or something as simple as putting a piece of plastic tubing over the existing metal hook.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,960 Posts
Right, it's the exact same problem as 'keyholing' on a cymbal (where the hole develops an 'offshoot' so rather than it being round, it is keyhole or pear-shaped).
This was simply due to the fact that back in the day drummers often didn't use any sort of sleeve on the cymbal stand stem, it was just metal against metal - steel or nickel or chrome plate vs. bronze.

The former is gonna win that battle.

Likewise here, steel or nickel/chrome plated strap hook against a brass metal strap eyelet; again the former is gonna win that battle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,359 Posts
I dip my steel hook in Plasti Dip. It lasts for a year or two. When I see it start to break down, I scrape it off and re-apply. Once you open the can, it has a fairly short shelf life, so use the rest on your tools, which is its intended use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts