Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi SOTWers !

I just recently had the chance and funds to purchase a TH&C tenor from 1948. It came in pretty good shape but I have noticed that the vent key on the upper right side of the horn that should open from D to G# in the middle register is not working properly. Although the G side of the mechanism is working fine, the octave key has very little movement and it does not seem to be enough to make the vent key to open. The connection screw seems also to be a little bit loose.

Anyone has any idea on how to adjust the whole mechanism ? Since buescher-savvy techs are difficult to find here I would appreciate any help ! I can post any pics if needed...

Thanks!

Carlos

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, what a first great question ! Hopefully none of you didn't even try to figure out what was happening.

For curious guys I just discovered I should put the neck IN before doing a silly question again ! So used to modern horns that I could not imagine this was such a tricky mechanism.

I shoudl be giving myself a 1-star rating for this thread but I hope this does not get me a lifetime banning from the Buescher forum :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,429 Posts
Carlos: Welcome to SOTW. I did not see your first post, but probably wouldn't have replied because I didn't fully understand your issues. NOW, from what you posted the second time, am I to understand that you were finding a problem with the octave mechanism without first inserting the neck? If that is the case, no wonder you found a problem!

I assume you solved your problem by inserting the neck. If THAT is the case, all is well. However, should you experience other issues in the future, I don't think you'd need a Buescher expert to solve it (them?). I'm guessing any competent repair-tech could handle a saxophone problem regardless of whether it is a Buescher or whatever. DAVE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carlos: Welcome to SOTW. I did not see your first post, but probably wouldn't have replied because I didn't fully understand your issues. NOW, from what you posted the second time, am I to understand that you were finding a problem with the octave mechanism without first inserting the neck? If that is the case, no wonder you found a problem!

I assume you solved your problem by inserting the neck. If THAT is the case, all is well. However, should you experience other issues in the future, I don't think you'd need a Buescher expert to solve it (them?). I'm guessing any competent repair-tech could handle a saxophone problem regardless of whether it is a Buescher or whatever. DAVE
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I am a long time forum member but reading seems to be easier for me than writing. In fact it was quite difficult for me to describe the issue with words so I was about to post some pics of the problem I was experiencing... The problem was not exactly with the octave key but with a small vent hole that opens from D to G# when the octave key is pressed. I have another horn (a yani 992) that has a similar mechanism but the vent hole opens always even if there is no neck. When doing the pics I realized that with the neck inserted everything worked fine in the buescher so I really felt dumb for the mistake!

Going to a tech was my next option but there arent so many around... Anyway, I got it solved so I posted back just in case anyone has a similar "problem":colors:

·
14,429 Posts
I understand English-as-a-second-language issues If that's the case), but I'm still confused about which little vent-hole you are describing. When you write "between D and G#", do you mean a vent between the TOUCHES for those notes (like, palm D to the G# touch?), or the vents for those two notes? And, are you writing about the D-1 / D-2 note, or palm D?

I looked closely at my Buescher Aristocrat alto and there is no little vent-hole between any of those options, touches OR vents. There are tone holes, for sure, but I sure wouldn't call them SMALL in relation to other tone-holes in the stack.

Yes, it appears you solved your problem but I'm guessing others would like to know exactly what you meant, if fo no other reason than to determine if they have a similar problem. DAVE

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,636 Posts
However, should you experience other issues in the future, I don't think you'd need a Buescher expert to solve it (them?). I'm guessing any competent repair-tech could handle a saxophone problem regardless of whether it is a Buescher or whatever.
Exactly. Of course the key word here is 'competent.'

One thing I'd suggest to anyone who has bought a horn, new or used (but especially used), is to take it into the shop and have a competent tech check it out. Odds are it will need at least some tweaking, if not a new pad or two. Carlos, you say there aren't many techs around, but all you need is one (hopefully a good one). You're going to need one sooner or later, so you might as well track one down now and make sure that horn is up to snuff. Those are wonderful horns!

·
14,429 Posts
Bruce: That is what I thought . . . At first. But on my altos (and I realize we are talking tenor here), the lower (or body) octave vent is nowhere near the D and G#, whatever was meant by that. I am awaiting clarification. DAVE

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Bruce: That is what I thought . . . At first. But on my altos (and I realize we are talking tenor here), the lower (or body) octave vent is nowhere near the D and G#, whatever was meant by that. I am awaiting clarification. DAVE
You mean the body octave pip that opens on D2-G#2 before switching to the neck pip at A2? Seemed pretty clear to me. Might not have translated well into Californian. :whistle: :)

·
14,429 Posts
You may be right . . . when I re-read the initial post (and I had re-read it a few times before posting) I can see where the OP may have meant the lower octave vent that opens when one plays D2 to G#. But like optical illusions, I took it to mean that he was talking about some vent LOCATED in that area - and then I was shut off to any other interpretation. Oh well - he solved his own problem, it seems. DAVE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may be right . . . when I re-read the initial post (and I had re-read it a few times before posting) I can see where the OP may have meant the lower octave vent that opens when one plays D2 to G#. But like optical illusions, I took it to mean that he was talking about some vent LOCATED in that area - and then I was shut off to any other interpretation. Oh well - he solved his own problem, it seems. DAVE

Yes, it IS the body octave pip. No idea this was the actual name in english. Sorry about the big-and-lengthy-description-that-caused-confusion...

I still think this is a pretty tricky mechanism in the Buescher. Much more straight-forward in the Yani (which does not mean better).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly. Of course the key word here is 'competent.'

One thing I'd suggest to anyone who has bought a horn, new or used (but especially used), is to take it into the shop and have a competent tech check it out. Odds are it will need at least some tweaking, if not a new pad or two. Carlos, you say there aren't many techs around, but all you need is one (hopefully a good one). You're going to need one sooner or later, so you might as well track one down now and make sure that horn is up to snuff. Those are wonderful horns!
Hi JL,

I have brought my horns to several local techs in the past but I still don't feel I have found the "one". I keep on trying !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so Carlos, any impressions about the horn itself, overall?
Well, I have played both an Aristocrat tenor and this THC tenor and I have to say I have loved the sound in both, compared to other vintage and "modern" horns I have tried.

I am not even close to a pro player so I don't feel too qualified to evaluate in terms of sound and response. Probably this THC is quite dark, and also more resistant than I expected. I specially love the middle and upper register and I am still working through the low end, but I was very positively surprised by the ergos, specially in those low Bb, B, C# keys, which I find rather comfortable and easy to access.

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,354 Posts
i'm probably even less pro-ficient, but i find that model horn, with an obvious Link set-up, to be very satisfying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts