Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently playing a yamaha-52 but looking to upgrade to a pro horn. My budget won't get to a high end Selmer so I've been shopping the vintage market and Buescher's seem to be good buys and are highly recommended for their tone and quality by players such as yourselves. Anyway, I'm wondering if they are a good fit for rock/R&B. One concern I have is if they play well with a shallow baffle MP such as guardalas, which as you know are pretty prevalent. I play other styles besides rock but that's my bread and butter right now. I appreciate your input.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

Those are great bargains. I played one for a very long time and still have it. These have a very big full sound.

·
4,507 Posts
I've played R&B gigs with my old trusty Tone Master NY link... I guess that once you learn how to put the air thru that kind of pieces you just don't miss the baffle at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
When I first tried out my Buescher Aristocrat 156 (#331XXX -early 50's), I had my Dukoff D7 mouthpiece with me. I was immediately impressed with its big, ballsy R&B potential, so I bought it. I've used it on numerous loud blues/ R&B Gigs.
However, I usually prefer my '53 The Martin, because I prefer the ergonomics of the Martin..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I love Bueschers, but I'll echo Honeyboy and say that for Rock and R&B, the Martin might be a better choice (and they can be had for CHEAP these days). Check out my comparison video on YouTube, you can hear that the Martin has a real punch to it (search on "6-horn", that should find it). There's some really great videos and soundclips as well of other players just wailing on Martins.

Speaking of, here's the website for SOTW's "Joey the Saint", who plays a The Martin... soundclips are on the page.

·
4,507 Posts
I love Bueschers, but I'll echo Honeyboy and say that for Rock and R&B, the Martin might be a better choice (and they can be had for CHEAP these days). Check out my comparison video on YouTube, you can hear that the Martin has a real punch to it (search on "6-horn", that should find it). There's some really great videos and soundclips as well of other players just wailing on Martins.

Speaking of, here's the website for SOTW's "Joey the Saint", who plays a The Martin... soundclips are on the page.
now that I read, I agree. The martins are way better for R&B (better than bueschers)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to take a look at the Martins as well. I don't know the much about Martin models but I've heard The Committee is highly rated. But back to Bueschers for a second. JI are you suggesting the later models are actually a better rock horn. Are you talking post-Selmer, or say early 60's? What characteristics in particular give them more punch?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,689 Posts
They will all work perfectly well as a rock or blues horn! As long as it's a tenor. The mpc is what can make a difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Bueschers aren't great if you have to play loud and edgy. Not in my experience and not in a buddy of mine's experience. Get a Conn or a Martin for that. Bueschers have great intonation and tone and ergos though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,297 Posts
Martins are really the loudest of the tenors. Talk to me if you need a Committee. I have had several Mark VI tenors and the Martins are still my choice.

·
6,862 Posts
+1 on Martins

Have to say though, we had a young kid playing blues on a MarkVI at the jam I play at on the weekend...blew me right off the bandstand! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Choosing the best tenor for r&b/rock from those I own, between a '38 series I and '55 Buescher Aristocrats,
a '51 The Martin Tenor and a '48 King Zephyr...

The Zephyr is best, Martin next.

·
6,862 Posts
I'm currently playing a yamaha-52 but looking to upgrade to a pro horn. My budget won't get to a high end Selmer so I've been shopping the vintage market and Buescher's seem to be good buys and are highly recommended for their tone and quality by players such as yourselves. Anyway, I'm wondering if they are a good fit for rock/R&B. One concern I have is if they play well with a shallow baffle MP such as guardalas, which as you know are pretty prevalent. I play other styles besides rock but that's my bread and butter right now. I appreciate your input.
You might have a look at that Keilwerth Bundy Jtodd is selling. These are great saxes! BTW: do you mean "high baffle"?

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
I've never played a Martin, and might consider one since I'm in a rock band and I need to be loud. My King Zephyr has been my go to tenor for months. Just got a 30s-40s Bundy tenor with the floral Elkhart engraving. Without even a trip to a tech it kept up to the Zephyr, enough so I never played the Zephyr during last rehearsal and tonight I also plan on playing the Bundy the entire night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow lot's of great suggestions. Seems like Bueshers will be OK but not the best choice. Actually I played a Conn Naked Lady today with a guardala MC and it gave me everything I wanted in edginess and attitude. But i'm going to keep start looking for Martins and King Super 20s. Thanks.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,689 Posts
Wow lot's of great suggestions. Seems like Bueshers will be OK but not the best choice. Actually I played a Conn Naked Lady today with a guardala MC and it gave me everything I wanted in edginess and attitude. But i'm going to keep start looking for Martins and King Super 20s. Thanks.
I'll have to differ to some extent. Both Buescher tenors I own (a series one 'Crat and a 156 Crat') are very loud and powerful, with a lot of edge when pushed (louder than my MKVI and the VI is plenty loud). A Martin will also do the job, but if you're only talking about volume, it won't play any louder than a Buescher. A Super20 might, though, but not by any significant amount.

What WILL make a significant difference is the type of mpc. A high baffle, large tip mpc will have all the volume you need with any of those horns. I'd suggest finding a horn that you like in terms of how it plays and sounds. Then adjust the volume issue with a mpc (and a microphone).

I've always found the idea of a "rock" horn or "jazz" horn to be nonsense. Those are styles of music, and it's how you play that makes the real difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JL, I guess I wasn't thinking about pure volume but more the tonal qualities when played with an edgy style. But I get your point about the MP being the main factor there. And I do want a horn that is versatile enough for any style.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I actually never found the need to play anything else, and I played a 'crat tenor exclusively for 10 years doing rock covers, big band jazz, and classical. Personally, I've never found a more verstile horn than a 40's/50's Buescher Aristocrat, but that could just be me.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts