Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am a beginner sax-player.
I bought yesterday for 912 USD a Buesher tenor elkhart indiana, serial 69476 30A.
It is totaly repadded and properly adjusted.
I fitted it up with a Otto Link 6.

Who can tell me if this a proper deal?
From which year is this sax?

Kind regards,

Pieter Berghuis.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it´s a fair deal.
If it is the first time you play the saxophone an Otto Link 6 sound´s a little open to me, or just play it with a soft reed...

Not so sure about the serial Nr, because (Correct me if mistaken) Buescher used to make the saxophones for Elkhart and I can´t find a serial chart on Elkhart.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Although it is not a regular Buescher, these can be decent players. This one is from about 1940-55 and was a lower line horn they made to compete with the Pan-American line that Conn had. That price seems quite high to me and I would say it is worth about $600 in good playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Dear Bruce,

On http://drrick.com/buesc.html, I find for this serial nmbr a approx. year of 1921.

What makes the difference?
While the sax was made by Buescher, Buescher serial numbers do not correspond to "The Elkhart" serial numbers. So yours is most definitely not from 1921.

I have to agree that a price over 900USD is a bit on the high side...for here. But from the address of the pictures, I'm guessing you're from the Netherlands? In which case, the price might be considered more reasonable there. Honestly I don't know the market for stenciled/2nd line horns abroad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.
Is there anywere a listing of The Elkhart serial numbers?

The Eur 650 (~915 USD, ricing with the day) is overhere in The Netherlands in my opinion a reasonable price. Pricing starting from Eur 800 and up .. but a good sax has his price. My question was is this a good sax for a beginner.

I did not know the prices in the USA, but I realise now that it less than in Europe.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
My question was is this a good sax for a beginner..
I haven't played this particular model and it's a Buescher stencil, not a 'true' Buescher (Bueschers are great horns), but nevertheless it could be a perfectly fine horn for a beginner. The most important thing is to make sure all the pads are sealing and the horn is in good playing condition. You'll want to take it to a tech and have it looked over and worked on as needed. A beginner needs a horn that is not leaking or otherwise holding them back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure it is not leaking! It is in perfect playing condition.
All pads are brandnew and with closing you can hear the tonesound ..
With light from inside, nowere is light leaking.
Even the problem with the upper octave key was properly made / adjusted.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
.... not a 'true' Buescher....
I kinda wish folks wouldn't phrase it like this....

It's like calling Clevelands "not true Kings", or Indianas "not true Martins"...which, respectfully...is erroneous.

30A's and 20A's were Buescher's 2nd-shelf horns...and they are very, very good players which possess a number of the qualities/attributes of the 1st-shelf models.

Pieter, given that the horn was overhauled, you got a decent price for it. Not fantastic, but worth the money. I would typically sell a rehabbed one for around $600...but it would not have been totally repadded by any means. Also, I understand that vintage american horns tend to be pricier in EU than on this side of the pond.

These are good, solid horns with a nice vintage tone.

Beginner horn ? No, it's far better than that...most 2nd shelf vintage horns are better than many contemporary "intermediate"-labeled ones. Use it in good health, and enjoy for many years to come.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts