Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw (will play it next time that I am there) one of these very rare instruments in the NL at Matthew’s.

It looks incredibly good and has been just overhauled by them retaining all the original studs and snap on. The lacquer is a very dark color, may not be original but in that case it was lacquered a very long time ago.

It looked and felt beautiful! They have just finished and it is not yet on their site.

I know some people are on the lookout for one of these and may be interested to enquire with them.

·
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is what a beauty, isn’t it?

·
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t think so there was not even traces of silver anywhere to be seen. I think this was originally lacquered and may have been relacquered many yeqars ago, the shop got it like this, they didn’t relacquer it . Regardless there are so few of these made that it is a very valuable item anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
I think this was originally lacquered...
Buescher didn't lacquer their horns back then, and I doubt such a special horn like that would have been originally purchased in bare brass.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
The lacquer is a very dark color, may not be original but in that case it was lacquered a very long time ago.
Not original I presume as they didn't do lacquer then.

·
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, true , but they lacquered aftermarket in house at Buescher horns which were originally not lacquered. The lacquer appears to be very old (is not chocolate brown but like dark old gold)

However , in real is better than in the pictures. I suggested they add an Euphonium bell and make into a Stritch tribute horn

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
yes, but they lacquered aftermarket in house at Buescher.
Sorry, I was actually wearing my Mr. Pedantic hat re: original lacquer

I'd love to have that horn and noestly, the price isn't too bad for a collector.

·
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I was actually wearing my Mr. Pedantic hat re: original lacquer

I'd love to have that horn and noestly, the price isn't too bad for a collector.
To be hoest , Matthew's in the ad doesn’t mention “ original lacquer”, I did.

·
25,981 Posts
yes, true , but they lacquered aftermarket in house at Buescher horns which were originally not lacquered.
Again, for reasons already stated, I seriously doubt this horn started out as bare brass. It wasn't uncommon to buff the silver plate off old horns, then lacquer them. That's what happened to my True Tone Buescher soprano.

·
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, I have seen many but , I have never seen one where there is no trace whatsoever of the plating ( maybe yours is like that too then I wonder how you could ascertain that it was at one stage silver plated). On this horn there isn’t one spot with silver left and the engraving is relatively crisp.

·
25,981 Posts
yes, I have seen many but , I have never seen one where there is no trace whatsoever of the plating ( maybe yours is like that too then I wonder how you could ascertain that it was at one stage silver plated). On this horn there isn’t one spot with silver left and the engraving is relatively crisp.
My TT soprano was lacquered at least twice aftermarket, but originally came in silver plate. No, you couldn't see silver anywhere on the horn. I had it re-stripped, restored, re-plated and re-engraved, and the expert that took on that task gave me his findings accordingly. So no, you wouldn't see silver anywhere unless they lacquered over the silver plate rather than buffing it off, which again, was commonly done.

·
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there should be at least some silver inside which wouldn’t buff easily.

Anyway it is academic.

It is what it is. In my opinion very rare and very beautiful as far as these go. Some time ago Raaf Hekkema contacted me about one and I told him that they were exceedingly rare and expensive.

·
25,981 Posts
there should be at least some silver inside which wouldn’t buff easily.

Anyway it is academic.
Well, tedious at this point... but here we are. So where would this silver be "inside" on a horn that's obviously been refinished at least once?

·
38,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as not outside, inside the body

See this other one that was for sale on reverb too

View attachment 248024

·
25,981 Posts
So Buescher is silver plating the inside of horns as well...

For reference, here's the finishes available for the straight altos:

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=misc&miscID=4

And here's a description of the finishes:

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/293

Again, best case it was bare brass to begin with (finish A). Just can't see someone shelling out the bucks for such a special horn and going cheap with the finish, then lacquering it years later when that became available... as being more likely than a horn that came plated and had it subsequently stripped at some point. Though of course the former is certainly possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
When plating, everything gets the silver even inside. It is possible to "unplate" where the plating is electronically removed.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Buescher didn't lacquer their horns back then, and I doubt such a special horn like that would have been originally purchased in bare brass.
FWIW, they would lacquer them reluctantly on special order starting about 1923. It's not a common option though it's possible.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts