Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently purchased what I believe is a Buescher True-Tone stencil sax through ebay... The engraving reads "Perfection- Made in USA Bruno NY"

I've read some of the threads regarding the Bruno NY models, and most commonly they were Conn stencil saxes- but this particular model doesn't have the Mercedes key guard, which I was led to believe ALL Conn stencils had no matter what.

In any case heres the link to the auction with some sweet pics- Link

I couldn't resist, she looks absolutely gorgeous so I am hoping it's a decent stencil- Conn or Buescher... Whaddya think???

Thanks!! :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Based upon the "Man in the Moon" shape neck brace (turn the neck sideways to see a 1/4 moon shape) and the ridge on the bottom of the bow, this appears to be a Buescher TT stencil to me.

Sax Magic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Yep, Buescher. Is it a Tenor or C Melody. Sometimes it is hard to tell with photos that don't show the complete horn put together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buescher TT?

According to the seller, they claim its a tenor. Two other ebay users asked, and both got the response "Tenor, NOT a c melody"

I certainly hope the sellers right!

If it indeed is a true-tone stencil, did I get a good deal or...? It was sorta an impulse buy...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*gulp*

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

As the guy who traded his Corvette to Homer Simpson for the last Krusty-Rib sandwich said- "Ohhhh, now I have the buyer's remorse..."

I just want to be sure of two things- A: Its NOT a c-mel. (Ill measure the horn when I get it) and B: If its not a c-mel, that it was a decent price...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
I have no idea about how good a horn it is, but I think it's safe to say it is a tenor, not a c-mel. It certainly has a tenor neck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*gulp*

After exhaustive research- the neck wouldn't identify it either way. Plenty of c-mel's have a serpentine neck just like the tenor. As of now, the only way it would seem to identify it as a c-mel is to both play it and measure it when it arrives. *sigh* I just wanted to know for SURE before it got here... Now its gonna be a couple days of crying in my pillow fearing the worst.

/stupid c-mel smell
//it gave me a saxually transmitted disease

·
21,034 Posts
I always ask for a body measure. If it is under 26" it is probably a C and a Bb is usually 28+". Last week I won a C Melody Buescher as I wanted the Protec tenor case it was in. The body didn't fill the case well. When it arrived, it was a newly overhauled Bb. Boy was I happy. Even if your horn turns out to be a C, they are really going up in value.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
So do you hve it yet? ... adn what is the outcoe?

BTW, it is a Buescher stencil: look at the round Eb palm key which gives the game away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it!

Pinnman said:
So do you hve it yet? ... and what is the outcome?
Just recieved it today- and boy, does it feel good to have a sax in my hands once again! (My keilwerth ex90 II was stolen about 3 years ago...)

Frankly, its just amazing being able to play once again, so how it sounds really takes second stance to being able to actually PLAY...

But- soundwise, it rips! Good action, nice tone, I think with a different mouthpiece setup, I could really roar on this... She def. has an old school dancehall jazz feel, I like warbling notes on her, real clean and crisp sound...
My ex90 had more power, but I think this horn has more "flavor" vs. the ex90's more polished sound.

It does have some "feedback" however on the really high and low notes- a somewhat tinny vibration is happening near the bottom curve of the bell, I think I should be able to tweak it, Im fairly confident its just a key or something thats creating the vibration.

All in all, Im totally stoked on this horn! Worth every penny and seems like I got a good deal! Thanks for everyone's help identifying it!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
So it turned out to be tenor? That's great. I stand corrected on the neck issue, though. A friend of mine has a Conn C-mel with the alto-style neck, so I was thinking they all had that.

Enjoy your horn.

·
21,034 Posts
I would say all C Melodies have the tenor shaped neck EXCEPT Conns after about 1919, a very few Bueschers and Yorks. The Pan-American built by Conn stayed with the tenor neck. The Alto straight neck types do seem to play a bit better but they are difficult to hold as the left hand is pretty far away compared to other saxes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts