Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I'm partial to Buescher as far as sopranos go, I generally see Conn sopranos selling for higher amounts. Are there other factors at work besides personal preference? Scarcity? Collectibility? Density?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
i suppose Conn is a slightly more revered overall brand, but i have heard that Buescher sopranos have far superior intonation over Conns,
otherwise they are very similar.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Grumps: I've owned several of both over the years - still have two TT's. The Conns are believed to have a huge voice - and the ones I owned (and played) did have a lot of oomph.

But my Bueschers all have had better scales.

Tone-wise, it is a toss-up, I believe (mainly because the player has such an influence over that issue). I recently played a couple of gigs with George Probert (of the Firehouse Five plus Two fame) and I don't know ANYONE who has a bigger sound than George. He plays an old Conn. We did well together. DAVE

·
Registered
136 Posts
I own both - the Conn has a fat sound, the Buescher is more focussed but there is something about the feel and sound of the buescher that works much better for me on soprano. I don't like the cramped feel of the Conn Ab key for one thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts