Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Aristocrat alto that produces a buzzing noise at certain frequencies. I can't find any metal-on-metal contact points anywhere (hinge tubes, keys, etc.). I've did everything I can think of to track it down like touching all the rollers, keys, hinge tubes, guards,.. you name it. Which leads me to suspect one or more of the snap in resonators might be buzzing. Does anyone know if this is a fairly likely culprit? I did find a couple without disassembling the horn that you can spin with a dental pick so I know there are at least a couple that I did not get enough shellac on the spud before snapping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,528 Posts
You don’t need shellac on the spud. Those are supposed to be a spring fit.

Can you remove the resonator, re-tension its finger springs, and reinsert the reso to the spud?

Bottom line: Yes, if loose, it could rattle. You could troubleshoot the suspect resos by shimming them temporarily to make them snug.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Good answer. The tool I like to use to make the "snap-on" resonators snug is the Music Medic thin swedging pliers shown below. A "quick and dirty" way to stop them from buzzing is to put a drop of hot melt glue into the socket and insert it onto the spud while it is still warm. :)

saxophone_key_swedging_pliers_-_thin.jpg

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I re-tensioned 3 or 4 questionable snaps but still getting a buzz. I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Sometimes it helps to have another person listen at various places while you play and touch areas that are suspected of vibrating. Common "culprits" I have found are loose key guard screws, loose bumper adjusting screws, un-lubricated rollers, and unsoldered guard feet. Even if the rollers are not to blame it is a good idea to remove them one at a time, clean with a pipe cleaner, and insert a dab of Music Medic Ultimax pivot and roller grease inside. It will not only keep them quiet, but will insure they never rust and freeze up.

Something else that has happened to me is that the buzzing sound was eventually discovered to be something in the room vibrating "sympathetically" with a certain frequency as it is played. Again, a "helper" whose ears can move about while you play can often be of assistance.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've touched all the rollers while playing and the buzzing did not seem to be affected, but I will replace the oil that I used for something more viscous like grease. What about pads that are sprung shut like the G# or Eb? If those are blowing open can it sound similar to a buzz or hiss?
Thanks everyone so far for your suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there a source for replacement snap in resonators other than stripping an old junker? My lower F snap had one of it's legs come loose. I haven't looked in the marketplace since I can't, and haven't seen much on ebay or Reverb.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,615 Posts
You can also use masking tape to secure suspected points. Quick and easy to remove.

Mark

·
Registered
280 Posts
My right hand side b flat key use to hum like a tuning fork. I accidentally noticed it tickling my palm one day. It sounded when I was playing the upper register G.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Is there a source for replacement snap in resonators other than stripping an old junker? My lower F snap had one of it's legs come loose. I haven't looked in the marketplace since I can't, and haven't seen much on ebay or Reverb.
MusicMedic used to have a limited stock on clearance, PM Woodwinds carries them.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out it seems my buzzing was in the G# linkage. I also did find a couple resonators that were suspect. At any rate, no more buzzing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,528 Posts
He shoots, he scores!

Congrats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts