Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won a Buescher mpc on ebay---a large chamber mpc thats been refaced. I am looking for a free blowing piece to use on my true tone---I've been playing a stock buescher tru-lay marked "M" which probably has the best intonation of any mpc I've tried on my true tone, but it sounds stuffy to me and not as "free" as my Runyon SB---while I don't have this new to me mpc in my hands for evaluation yet, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had a Buescher "opened up" and if they've found it worthwhile, and how much modifiction was neccesary---and who to send it to if I need to have it refaced. OR am I simply suffering from GAS attack?
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
A large chamber Buescher mouthpiece is not going to be free blowing. The early HR Bueschers are almost the definition of resistant. A baffle could change that but if you want an easy blow almost any other mouthpiece will get you in that direction.
FWIW, I've been playing a vintage Larry Teal on my TT and it works for me for both tone and intonation.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I have opened up a few of these. They can be free blowing if the facing length is made longer too. If the curved sidewall come right up to the window opening, they can not be opened up much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
John Kasaian said:
OR am I simply suffering from GAS attack?
That gets my vote. Just seeing that altered Buescher mouthpiece offered for resale is evidence that folks are destroying these pieces in hopes of making them into something they aren't. Sure, it's not like they're slant signature Links, but they do have historical value and it's a shame to see that cut, shaved and sanded away in an attempt to appease the fickle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
MojoBari said:
I have opened up a few of these. They can be free blowing if the facing length is made longer too. If the curved sidewall come right up to the window opening, they can not be opened up much.
I'm one of Mojo's customers for this operation, and I can tell you he made a HUGE positive difference by reducing the amount of resistance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a stock Buesher Tru-Lay which is a keeper just the way she is, but the ebay mpc has already been worked on so theres no historic value to it that I can see, only the opportunity--if it exists--to experiment so I guess that is GAS. I figure first I'll see how it plays. If it screwed up I'll see if the chamber walls are scooped out like Mojo described, If not then the decision comes down to sending it off to a refacer or springing for something like a Morgan L.

Am i on track here or is there something I've overlooked?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Yeah, I've got no problem with trying to fix an already altered piece; and I do also understand that some folks just really dig the old rubber recipe and want to make something different with the originals. In the latter case, I just don't like to see folks recommend it as a matter of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts