Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I acquired my first Buescher TH&C alto, inside the original case was a white plastic mouthpiece with no markings of any kind. Since I got the horn from the son of the original owner who bought it in the early fifties, I tend to think this may be the original Buescher factory mouthpiece that came with the instrument. I have no idea on the lay or the tip opening. It has very little indication of use such as bitemarks, etc; but it does have a substantial crack running from the shank to about the middle of the table. The crack is "tight" meaning it doesn't spread until it's put way up on the neck. I believe the shank could be banded and preserve the mouthpiece perfectly. Assuming I am correct, then here is the question: is this mouthpiece worth the cost of repair? If my assumptions are not correct, any ideas on the maker of the mouthpiece? And, finally, if it is original, is there any information on the specs of the mouthpiece? Thanks. Wilbur

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Wilbur,

There are other white mouthpieces out there, but given that it came with a TH&C, your assumption is likely correct. It's likely the original, or one quite similar. As a Buescher original piece, it's value is somewhere between $25 and $50 in good condition, assuming you find someone that's looking for one, and not many are. With a crack, it's not worth anything.

Although I can't say with authority that it's a specific number, like 0.065", but it's quite a closed tip mouthpiece and it's somewhere in that range. It should have a horseshoe shaped chamber. They weren't very well made and aren't very popular except as collector pieces.

What I would do is keep it as an original piece of the horn, but you'll likely want to play on something else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,910 Posts
Wilbur -- what serial number range is your 400 in? Mine is from just after WWII, and it came with a hard rubber mouthpiece stamped "400" in gold at the base of the facing. It was closer to the classic Buescher mouthpieces, with a big round chamber, little baffle, and a narrow tip opening. You don't see them very often - I don't think I've ever seen a similar alto mouthpiece - and I've often wondered whether they came stock with the 400 horns for some period and were discontinued, or were an option to begin with.

That mouthpiece played well and was well made, btw, just wasn't suited to me.

·
8,588 Posts
Something to look at.

http://www.mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Buescher.html

The white Buescher piece is about halfway down the page.

While I no longer have it, I don't recall the white Buescher piece that originally came with my 1949 'Crat' tenor to have had any markings on it either. May have orginally had "Buescher" on the shank, but at a minimum it was gone by 1972.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
The markings were gold-on-white, very fine, shallow stampings. They quickly faded and barely left a trace.

These are actually pleasant-sounding pieces, but like the Conn Comet (another Runyon sub-contract), they really have no special qualities. No darkness, edge, volume, or subtone.

I'd compare them to the Brilhart plastics, but you can shape and voice your sound on the Brilharts. With these you can't.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
If the crack is getting worse, it can be spread open a minor bit and glued but if it is not coming open when putting it on, leave it alone. You can always go the hose clamp route. As mentioned, it is just another mouthpiece. Oddly, the first sax I played over 50 years ago was a silver Buescher TT and it too had a white mouthpiece. Public school horn so who knows what it went to......

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I also bought a Buescher 400 alto, non TH&C some years back, and it also came with a similar white mpc that the OP mentioned, and even with a similar crack on the shank! I've played it before but didn't note anything special about the mpc, except that it was quite a closed piece.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"Wilbur -- what serial number range is your 400 in? Mine is from just after WWII, and it came with a hard rubber mouthpiece stamped "400" in gold at the base of the facing. It was closer to the classic Buescher mouthpieces, with a big round chamber, little baffle, and a narrow tip opening. You don't see them very often - I don't think I've ever seen a similar alto mouthpiece - and I've often wondered whether they came stock with the 400 horns for some period and were discontinued, or were an option to begin with.

That mouthpiece played well and was well made, btw, just wasn't suited to me."

It's in the 333,xxx range. Sounds like yours is a quality mouthpiece. Thanks for the reply.

·
8,588 Posts
Gowanda is 20 miles from Fredonia. It's probably not a coincidence. Someone just graduate perhaps?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something to look at.

http://www.mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Buescher.html

The white Buescher piece is about halfway down the page.

While I no longer have it, I don't recall the white Buescher piece that originally came with my 1949 'Crat' tenor to have had any markings on it either. May have orginally had "Buescher" on the shank, but at a minimum it was gone by 1972.
My white mouthpiece is different than shown in the pics. There is no little ridge at the bottom of the shank; however, the chamber is "U" shaped, not necessarily "horseshoe mentioned above by Maddenma and it does appear symmetrical.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Gowanda is 20 miles from Fredonia. It's probably not a coincidence. Someone just graduate perhaps?
Well, we know the style doesn't transplant well. I've tried to play my barrel chambers in central Iowa and all I get is sort of a sad wheeze. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts