Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to find a lyre screw for my 1941 Buescher Big B tenor. The one off of my 1923 Series III TrueTone alto fits. And the best I can tell, the screw size is #6 and the thread size is finer than 32. Feree's Tools lists these with both 36 and 40 fine threads.

But since I don't have, and can't find, any screws this size to compare, I'm not sure if the Buescher lyre screw is supposed to be the 6-36 or 6-40. :(

If you know, please help.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Are you still doing marching band? Why not just remove the holder?

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to keep things original and complete. A while back, a SOTW member gave me a period-original lyre with the tapered square end. Now I just need the screw.

Plus, since I arrange all our music, I often shrink down the sheet music for tenor so we can put in on the lyres. This works very well with the limits space my orchestra has on stage. My son uses one all the time. So mine would get some use now and then.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
You might consider just dropping in to your closest repair shop. They should have an assortment of various screws in different thread sizes and styles. They might even charge you a dollar or two if you find one in the style and finish you like.

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Now that I recall, the horn I measured pitch has a non original (replacment) lyre screw. I'm off to the shop in a while, I'l double and triple check.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ace Hardware. I needed a screw for a ligature. Took the ligature to Ace Is The Place. Found the perfect fit. Fortunately the lig is chrome or nickel. If gold there'd be no match.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Maybe a brass one from Ace. Is the keywork brass or plated? I can look around and see if a donor horn may have one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
Yep, my local aces carries a selection of brass screws as well. I also found small testube-sized cork stoppers that can easily be shaped into bumpers. AFAICT, it's the best chain hardware store for repair supplies I have found. I can't find anything at Home Despot or Menard's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts