Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi me again. I've been shopping Bueschers and am going to look at one from a trade site. It's a Big B serial 306. Anyway his pictures show a more golden color rather than a deep copper. Were there different lacquer choices on the Aristocrats of that era? Also the seller claims this is original lacquer. The engraving looks pretty clear but is there a way to tell for sure? I'm driving a couple hours to check this out. I appreciate your input.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,853 Posts
I have a copy of the '39 catalog & you could order the saxophones in "gold or clear lacquer". What that lacquer appeared like then, and what it would look like today, I can't say.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
One photo is not enough to tell BUT this may be gold plated. If you can get a close-up of a spot with some wear, it may show silver plating underneat. If so, that may indicate gold plating. If is was the clear lacquer, I think it may be a relacquer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you guys are good. I attached a couple more pics in the original post and it does look like there is some silver on the bottom and around the keys. Probably the seller didn't realize this. I would imagine this would affect the value some. But I wouldn't think the playability is an issue. Any thoughts?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Me three, and it appears to be a very rare bird with an original GP finish.

Here's a compare and contrast against a modern GP finish (on the Big B tenor) and the original plating of a Buescher sop (circa 1930). Notice that the color is strikingly different. Actually a little brownish on the sop vs. the orange-ish hue of the 1972 finish on the tenor.

I recall reading somewhere that the finish options were bare brass, honey lacquer, nickel, silver, gold, and gold with silver keys. The silver and gold plated finishes could be satin or polished.

I've never even seen a picture of an original gold-plated Big B, although I've seen nickel and silver ones. Not sure it affects the price all that much, but it is a rare finish.

If you choose to not buy this horn, let me know where it is.

Attachments

·
8,588 Posts
I have a copy of the '39 catalog & you could order the saxophones in "gold or clear lacquer". What that lacquer appeared like then, and what it would look like today, I can't say.
Can you scan the catalogue and post it for us?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I also want to know where it's located. It's very undesirable and you'll be better steering clear of this trainwreck of a horn :mrgreen:

·
8,588 Posts
Juan and I will both race to see who gets there first.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now you guys wouldn't take advantage of a naive little newbie? Actually, the more subdued hue is pretty cool looking. But how does it actually play? I'll keep you informed.

·
8,588 Posts
Not taking advantage, but if you pass, please do let me know who and where.

·
4,507 Posts
It will blow your mind. A 306k in original gold plate... man... what the f**k I'm doing here missin on that horn!

·
4,507 Posts
BTW now's clear that when the model changes on tenors. When they start stamping 156, it's a different model. The older tenor (Aristo I to 309XXX aproximately) is the 127 model tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,853 Posts
No problem. Not sure what the upload problem on the rest of the catalog is; I shouldn't be out of space.

Looking around, I also see I've got a small '54 catalog as well as some 1909 literature!! Came across all this pretty recently by way of my other Buescher obsession, with their brass. If you think de-tangling the variations in the sax models is confusing, it's got nothing on the brass. It's like they had a whole secret world of instruments they didn't 'fess up to in the catalogs.

I'll see what I can do about getting this stuff uploaded.

·
8,588 Posts
Does support your theory (and mine) that a Series 1 was a very different horn.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts