Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all

An old friend has asked me to off-load his 1907 Buescher made Elkhart alto sax. It's in damn fine condition I must say (will try to snap some images soon), He's er, um, kindly offered to swap this for my vintage enduro motorcycle - an offer I declined especially as I have a 1926 True-Tone. So I'm pondering in which factory did Buescher actually manufacture these? and what is the market for such an instrument?

Glenn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,515 Posts
Hi Glenn.

How have you determined a 1907 date ? That seems unlikely. EBICo was founded in 1923 I believe....(?)

Pics would help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,740 Posts
The Elkhart was a Buescher second line horn. With a big elk head engraved on the bell? Those came after the True Tone run and might only be worth a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Glenn.

How have you determined a 1907 date ? That seems unlikely. EBICo was founded in 1923 I believe....(?)

Pics would help.
apparently the date was determined by his technician. From my inspection and inexperience determining the following I would say this horn has been rebuilt (body included) and relacquered. Stampings are as follows. "The Elkhart" made by Buescher Band Instrument Co serial 8XXX

No other engravings

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
apparently the date was determined by his technician. From my inspection and inexperience determining the following I would say this horn has been rebuilt (body included) and relacquered. Stampings are as follows. "The Elkhart" made by Buescher Band Instrument Co serial 8XXX

No other engravings
from...below...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buescher_Band_Instrument_Company

...In 1903 there was a disastrous fire at Buescher's factory. In 1904 the business was reorganized and renamed the Buescher Band Instrument Company, reflecting its sole focus on producing band instruments.

---

I am also aware that Buescher "apparently" patented their snap-in pads in 1921. This Elkhart alto has snap-in pads. I have already suggested the owner keep this if only to display upon his mantlepeice

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,515 Posts
Pics would help.

On the Elkhart Serial # registry thread, member Maddenma (a foremost Buescher aficionado) notes:

"If you do some research on the forum, you'll find that the serial number sequence changed 3 times on these. They started at something like 25,000 initially, then reset it to something around zero, and then adopted the Buescher serial number sequence about 1960"

So although a horn may have a 4-digit serial it doesn't mean it from pre 1920. Likely the horn is actually a '30's horn....but agan hard to say w/o some pics...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
The G# key and front F appeared on Bueschers around 200,000 which would be 1925. The real Bueschers had a roller on the G# but had a similar shape. My guess is in the 1925-35 period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts