Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Is there a time where Buescher Curved Sops were at their best? What Serial Numbers?

Also, not talking about the affects of plating/laquer, but were the Silver Plated sops made to higher standards than the ordinary laquered ones?

Thanks,
BPSAX

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
On the second point, get ready to duck. The question of whether gold plated saxes were better than the others caused all hell to break out a year or two ago. (My view is that a sax costing twice as much as an unlacquered version would be difficult to sell, so it is likely that the best (however defined or determined) were gold plated is lagely irrelevant here.) Silver platng is probably less of an issue, though, and my impression is that the majority of SP curvies were silver plated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,646 Posts
BPSAX said:
Also, not talking about the affects of plating/laquer, but were the Silver Plated sops made to higher standards than the ordinary laquered ones?
Maybe a late model special order could have been lacquered if ordered during the Aristocrat run, but TT's originally came in either bare brass, nickle, silver or gold plate. A lacquered model would most probably be an aftermarket job.

Though the later curved TT sopranos are keyed to F3, the earlier ones are only keyed to Eb3; so you might want to avoid the earlier ones unless you're good with soprano altissimo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
The later models (late 20s) have updated keywork and are keyed to High F (as Grumps said). They are also less plentiful. Because of these two points, they typically command a much higher price. Do all of them play better, I don't know. Some of the earlier (High Eb) TTs play really well, as do the Selmer NY stencils that Buescher made. Since all of those High Eb models (Buescher and stencils made for Selmer NY and others) are far more plentiful, you have a chance of picking up a nice playing model for a lot less money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,139 Posts
I have an earlier one from 1918 and the sound is superb. As far as the range, if the cork under the Eb palm is removed, and a cork is placed on the arm hitting on the body, it can be used whereby the palm Eb does not open the palm D. When this is done, high E can be played (use G#2 adding the palm Eb) and also F can be played (A2 adding the palm Eb). Mine has the older pads and still playes quite well. If I were to choose, I would look for a later horn (above about 200,xxx) BUT as mentioned, they are rare and command top dollar. I think I have about $1,000 in mine so that should give you a rough idea as to pricing. Great silver plating with original case. I have been watching these (I am selling mine) to determine price and it seems they go from about $900 to $1,800 although I doubt the high priced ones are that much better.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

Do they come up on ebay often? Both early and late models?

Also, Bruce, would you be selling yours on eBay or here?

Thanks guys.

BPSAX

·
1,612 Posts
BPSAX said:
Thanks for the info.

Do they come up on ebay often? Both early and late models?

Also, Bruce, would you be selling yours on eBay or here?

Thanks guys.

BPSAX
I've seen quite a few of the older style ("actual" and stencils) since the beginning of this year. Ironically I've seen three late models show up on eBay as well (that's quite a few actually).

To put it in perspective, I picked-up one of these three newer models, in need of a complete overhaul, for just under $1800.00. That was a little more than what the cheapest went for, but mine came with an original mpcs I sold for $190 which then dropped my net price to be the cheapest. (Mine also came with all its snap-ins.) The third was sold by Theo, was purchased by another dealer, and commanded a substantially higher price (I believe it was over 30% more than what I paid for mine).

You'll be able to pick-up a "High Eb" model for much less.

Good hunting!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,139 Posts
I would need about $1,200 for mine with the older pads. They cover quite well and the keywork is excellent, plating near perfect, original case. Best to call me to get it off of the thread discussion. 305-667-4935.
BTW I missed out on a nice looking TT C soprano tonight, went for about $666. I hope that is not bad for the buyer!
I sould prefer to have one of the later curvies but I can't warrant the extra $$$ compared to the older ones.

·
1,612 Posts
bruce bailey said:
I would need about $1,200 for mine with the older pads. They cover quite well and the keywork is excellent, plating near perfect, original case. Best to call me to get it off of the thread discussion. 305-667-4935.
BTW I missed out on a nice looking TT C soprano tonight, went for about $666. I hope that is not bad for the buyer!
I sould prefer to have one of the later curvies but I can't warrant the extra $$$ compared to the older ones.
It's my understanding that Buescher made some later-model Csops keyed up to High-F. I've never personally seen one, but because of thier rarity, I believe they make the later-model curvies we've been discussing seem cheap by comparison...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts