Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Could anyone tell me whether the 'D' rings that hold the leather handle on to the case are welded or split? I have a Buescher soprano and I want to replace the handle. I don't want to try to open them up if they are welded as I may damage the case.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Most are split. Most good instrument repair shops are equipped to replace case handles, hinges, and latches. In our shop to replace a handle is about $12 to $16 depending on the type of handle.

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
WW&BW used to show case-handle replacements in their catalogs. They still may do so, I haven't looked for them in a while.

I once ordered a replacement case handle from them and had a local luggage repair shop install it. Works fine. DAVE

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately we don't have local luggage repair shops locally. Maybe a shoe repairers.

Thanks Dave, I did try WWBW but couldn't find the right one on their website. I have ordered a black leather attache case handle from a saddlers on the web (it looks about right) and hope to fit it myself. Hence my query.

Robert

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
fred12 said:
Robert - These folks have strap-on handles that don't require replacement of the fastening hardware. I'm thinking of getting one for my bari case.

http://www.votawtool.com/zcom.asp?pg=products&grp=636&cat=supplies
Most major repair shops (including mine) keep these universal strap-on handles in stock. You will need to know if the "D" rings are parallel or inline with each other, as there are two styles available in this regard, and also some models have a steel reinforcement for heavier instruments such as baritones and tubas. A soprano sax case will not require the steel insert due to it's light weight, fwiw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts