Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a partner of the forum in Spanish Adolphesax has bought a saxophone Buescher in which the mark appears screen printed (or in serigrafy) instead of engraved.
I've never seen one like that, maybe the student models were thus?
Is that possible or is it a fake?
thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I didn't quite follow your question, but the screen-printed BUESCHER may be one of the new inexpensive saxophones made in China and using the good Buescher name. They are sold under the model numbers BU-3, BU-4, etc. Total junk in my opinion, but some folks may be able to play them. For sure, they lack the quality of the original Buescher saxophones (of which I own many). I don't think the original Bueschers came in anything but top-quality, pro-level horns. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
Dave, I wonder if he is referring to the late aristocrats that used a decal rather than engraving? I believe they were blue and white if memory serves and used that oval design... I'll have to look for a photo...

·
14,268 Posts
cymru97: Could be . . . I'm not all THAT up on Bueschers after the Selmer buy-out but I'm guessing what was shown in the eBay auction was a Selmer-Buescher after the buy out. Those are not as bad as the Asian-made Bueschers of today, but neither are they as good as the original Bueschers with the stamped TrueTone logo on the back. I'm waiting for more detail from the OP. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
No doubt, I completely agree.

I played a tenor very briefly MANY years ago and was impressed with it for what it was. It left a nice impression, but I hadn't played too many nice tenors at that point. Nothing unique or special just a good quality student/intermediate horn in my book.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
are we talking about the decaled aristocrats? those should be mid 400k to 475 k or so. And yes, they were as cheap as for decaling instead of engraving for a while . They started to stamp them after they realized that the decal rubbed off so eaily.. (D'Oh!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Also they sold them as a Bundy with a different decal. Gray/brown case for Buescher, Green case for Bundy. Same horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Also they sold them as a Bundy with a different decal. Gray/brown case for Buescher, Green case for Bundy. Same horn.
Yup. And they can be pretty decent. I just bought one locally that a young man had replaced with some sort of Asian junk. The Bundy was full of leaks, but when I tried it both the young man and his dad's eyes got big and they said, "that sounds pretty good." I'm a lousy player, but it just may have dawned on father and son that their old horn could sound better than the shiny new one.

·
743 Posts
+1 for Saintsday's comment. My first alto sax as an 8th grade beginner was a 1964 Bundy, early in the Selmer tenure. It played very well, and it was built like a tank. I played it for 3 full years, during which I got to be a strong player for a kid, and it never let me down. I traded it during my junior year for a Mark VI, which I still have. In recent years, more than 40 years later, I owned a 1951 Buescher 140, and it played and felt exactly like the 1964 Bundy as far as I could tell. Wish I had it to compare precisely.
Sax Magic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes is exactly this decal
Thanks a lot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts