Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some other , old discussions about this, but I cant find them.
Were the New Aristocrats split bell , then the Big B came along? Was the WW II US markings on Bueschers' only on Big B horns? different for the
Navy than the Army? I have seen the US mark up high on the Bell and down low in the engraved diamond pattern, why
the difference. Is the 140 Big B the same horn? Are there other markings on Big B besides the 140 ?
Do all of these have Norton springs? Were Norton springs often gold plated or "blued"?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The New Aristocrats were split bell keys, then came the 'Series I' Aristocrats, model number 135 for the altos (tenors I think were 136?). AKA the 'Art Deco' models. The 135 was a totally different horn from the 140.
The engraving changed again in the early '50s and was no longer the Big B, but the horns were still 140s.
I think the 135 was phased out in 1940. I'm sure maddenma can confirm or correct. I would seem likely that since the US didn't enter the war until late '41 / early '42, most of the WWII-era horns would be 140s.

Nortons were gold-plated, period.

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that , I wasn't clear on the model numbers so much as the names. I recently purchased a Big B [Yea!!]but no model number there.
Mine is silver with "US" on it so I didn't know exactly what model I had.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks for that , I wasn't clear on the model numbers so much as the names. I recently purchased a Big B [Yea!!]but no model number there.
Mine is silver with "US" on it so I didn't know exactly what model I had.
I don't recall whether my 135 has a model number on it. You just know it by the engraving.
Oh yeah, the names are a bit weird. The 135 is often called the Aristocrat Series I, or the Art Deco model. The 140 Big B is aka Aristocrat Series II. The 140 after the Big B is typically called the Series III.
At least we can all agree on the True Tone and New Aristocrat.

I get the feeling that one of these days I'm going to buy a 140 to work on and end up selling my 135 instead! Enjoy the horn!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Model numbers weren't stamped on the body until 1948.

Forget the common names based on cosmetics, not the construction of the instrument. They are misleading and confusing as a result.

All "Big B" altos are model 140s. All Script-engraved altos with l/h bell keys are 140's. Any "Aristocrat" alto with back bell keys is a 141 until 1960 when it becomes an S-20. All "New Aristocrat" split bell key altos are model 135, as are the l/h Art deco engraved bell key Aristocrats until 1941 when the Big B engraving was introduced. Any alto prior to the 135 all the way back to 1900 is a model 126.

HTH

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This site is deep with info-
Thank you for that all !
The link is great!....so much info and Maddenma had sound clips and all sorts of encyclopedic detail .
I typed in Buescher US and not much came up, now I know a bit more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts