Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Says 156 on it

...I got it recently, it's a 317xxx,a nice horn but a bit rough, Big B's can be very expensive so I knew it was a good horn. Well the body bell bow and neck are all in very straight shape, the lacquer is still on a lot of the horn. It does need and deserve a good repad, but the current pads are a mix of orig older and more recent.

I was going to sell as-is, but I took it to my tech for a look-see anyway. Well the horn needs work yeah, but, he did a tightening of the neck and whatever else voo-doo he did in about 10 min....anyway he didn't charge me a nick. I was picking up my Sop and I paid him for that,..

Now I am really impressed, once at home I tried it out and man what a full pretty and in-tune sound. Free and easy blowing, very expressive with my black widow. Not so sure about selling now, my VI needs a back-up, I recently sold a late model Buescher 400 tenor to finance my sop, I like this horn a lot better...such a tone.

I think my pal JL plays one of these 156 horns along with his VI, now I know why,:mrgreen:

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I played it quite a bit this AM on my Sun brunch gig..

..very enjoyable, comfortable and solid key feel..this thing easily produces velvety subtones, full midrange and pops perfect alt. This is a nice horn. I may have sold it to myself, actually most of the pads are fairly new, has 3-4 old ones down low, looks like they still snap in. The horn will never be a show queen she's missing a couple pieces and got a few warts, but certainly nothing to affect playability sound or tone.

Anyway I need to keep it for awhile, my VI tenor is on the list at Kesslers to go in for major repad work and when that happens the VI will be MIA for a few weeks.

There is such a great wealth of info on the Bueschers here on the forum. I can certainly understand the "Big B' following.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Congrats on falling in love again, CashSax. As a recent Buescher tenor convert, I can vouch for their sweet tone and stellar intonation, which I've also described on this forum as velvety. And it's encouraging to me that you like a Black Widow with your 156. I'm using a TK Focustone Acoustimer HR, which is low-baffle, but have a Metalite M7 on the way for kicks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
wow. a buescher big b plus the famed 10mfan black widow. please post a video.
i'm hoping to sell my alto truetone this year to get a buescher tenor.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a great sound, but sorry my vid production skills are nil

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got a Buescher Big B Tenor too. Love the sound, but the intonation is not great as I go higher and to the palm keys. Some people seem to think the mouthpiece makes a huge difference. I've got a Jody Jazz HR*6.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It could be the mouthpiece affecting intonation, btannenb, or the key height. You might want to take it to your tech for a once-over and setup before hunting for the perfect mouthpiece.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
I think my pal JL plays one of these 156 horns along with his VI, now I know why,:mrgreen:
You got that right, Cash! Hang onto that horn, it will grow on you. And it'll play even better if you get the old pads replaced, & any other work it might need.

As to intonation, these Buescher Aristocrats have about as good intonation as you'll find in a sax. btannenb, if you're having intonation issues, I'd bet there's a problem with the horn, as Zoot says.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You got that right, Cash! Hang onto that horn, it will grow on you. And it'll play even better if you get the old pads replaced, & any other work it might need.

As to intonation, these Buescher Aristocrats have about as good intonation as you'll find in a sax. btannenb, if you're having intonation issues, I'd bet there's a problem with the horn, as Zoot says.
As I mentioned on another thread, I brought it in to my tech, who only noticed some pad issues. I think I need to find another tech for a second opinion!

But the tone sure is sweet on these Bueschers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took a chance and bought one off of ebay a few years ago. It's not a Big B but the script engraving they used at the end of the production run. It only cost me $565. It's not a looker but I don't care (my Martin and Pan American and the lookers :) ) I love it. Leagues ahead of anything else I've played. Versatile and sweet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts