Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have a question about Big B alto keys heights if anyone is willing to answer. I have Big B alto in original factory setup and keys heights are quite extreme. Palm keys are about 7-8 mm and lower stack is almost 10mm (measuring at the front of the key cups). The exceptions are low B, Bb, C#, C and Eb which are quite close. What is optimal keys heights setup for this horn.

Thank you

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,498 Posts
In general, Buescher heights when set-up to please the player best, will be overall noticeably more open than some other models & makes (though they will still play well when lower, just not as well for most players' taste).

If I'm setting up a Buescher for myself, the only way to get the best result is to (1) start from a general baseline that's based on experience, i.e. what looks right to me and then (2) play and adjust, with actual response as experienced being the guide.

In other words, your actual results are the guide, as far as making adjustments. If you tend, for example, to break up when you go to your notes that vent through toneholes with lower venting, the answer is to change the venting of that tonehole (and often the next one, and sometimes more than the next one toward the bell lip from that one).

I work with nearly identical horns from my PRC factory, in bulk, regulating & playing all of them. I do not find that venting is universal on them. Sometimes one example will play better, for example, with a relatively low venting -- what to me is a low venting -- of the low C, or the bell keys, sometimes the opposite is true. USUALLY the best situation is the same across the board on the same make/model, but not always.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
One thing to watch for is that the more open the key heights on the stacks, the more likely you're going to find that the palm keys play flat in relation to the rest of the horn. Far less adjustment available on those.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts