Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Buescher Aristocrat tenor sax for my 14yr old daughter. She wanted an older sax but not too old because of price for one and also, from what we’ve read, the finger action on older ones seem to be harder (or at least different) for someone her age. She has an old sole to her and likes old things. The serial number is 416122. From what I’ve found, it seems this was made around 1965-66. Is this correct? What more can you tell me about it? I only paid $300 for it which I figured wasn’t bad. We are still waiting for it to be delivered but the guy said it is fully adjusted and ready to play. It also comes with a mouth piece (not sure what yet), strap and other brand case. By the way, I also purchased her Yamaha YAS-23 from the same guy. It did need a couple of minor adjustments but it has been great! So we are hoping for the same or better outcome with this one. I had her look over the pictures of it and she said it looked good to her...not just the looks but she was talking about features and placements.

Attachments

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,378 Posts
That's a post buyout Buescher (after Selmer bought them out). Not the same thing as the 'real' Buescher Aristocrat, but it could still be a decent horn. Others on here know more about these post buyout horns than I do, so hopefully someone can let you know where this exact model fits in the spectrum.

In any case, you did well getting it for $300, especially IF it truly is "fully adjusted and ready to play," as described by the seller.

FWIW, I very much doubt that the "finger action" on the post buyout Bueschers is any better or 'easier' than on the older Bueschers, which had excellent ergonomics. But it shouldn't be a problem on the horn you bought, in any case. Assuming it's in good adjustment.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My first horn (alto) was a (Selmer USA) Buescher Aristocrat. I purchased it new in 1968. It really was a sweet sounding horn. I don't remember having any issues with the ergonomics back then, but I also don't recall what I had for dinner last night either. :) Anyway, it was a good solid horn. IMO for $300.00 you got a good buy. I hope your daughter has good luck with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I’ve also spent some time in this section tonight browsing some previous threads about this same subject. There’s quite a lot! I believe it will be a good sax for her but we will know soon enough. It’s suppose to arrive tomorrow evening. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes Yes YES, I love mine so much! And I get huge sound out of it if I use a Berg Larsen 105/0 M

Never under-estimate student horns, slap on a great mouthpiece get some practice in and this can be the only horn you'll need.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I agree with the others, these can be great horns for the money. My default recommendation for beginners is to get either a Yamaha 23 or one of these old Aristocrat/Bundy horns like this one.
All the better if you get a decent mouthpiece with it (although - spoiler alert - it most likely isn't).
You should still take it to a tech. Even if it was in good playing condition before, things might have been rattled around a bit during shipping.

Even if that horns needs a bit of work, you did well for $300! Good luck to your daughter.

For the record, I don't find the ergonomics (finger placements) of most 1930s and later instruments to be "harder", especially with Buescher. Only different. My 1920s horns are definitely a bit weird, but the 1936 Aristocrat I used to have and the 1950 Aristocrat I have now are both as comfortable and quick as my Yamahas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we have the sax in hand now. It really is in great shape! Especially for being over 50 yrs old. This thing has been taken really good care of. The pads look good and seem to seat well. My daughter brought a new reed home she got from one of her friends and tried it out. She loves it! She played a few different songs trying out the range and it sounds great! She commented about how it played easy in the higher range. The mouth piece is a Conn but not sure what it is. Can anyone help identify it? Should there be a number on it? I’ve posted pics of it. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I think it's probably the original stock mouthpiece that came with the horn. Buescher sold out to Selmer USA in 1958. Today they're the Conn-Selmer company and most of their products are made in Taiwan. Anyway, they were probably contracting out with C.G. Conn at the time for parts and accessories and that's why the Conn mouthpiece. Or maybe not? My new 1968 Buescher came with a Goldentone mouthpiece which was a Selmer plastic mouthpiece, and believe it or not, it was very playable. Anyway, here is a good site that will give you some Buescher history.

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=man&manID=1

·
Registered
Martin Indiana tenor sax. Yamaha 5 C mouthpiece, Rico Metalite 7 mouthpiece. Use synthetic reeds.
229 Posts
I think it's probably the original stock mouthpiece that came with the horn. Buescher sold out to Selmer USA in 1958. Today they're the Conn-Selmer company and most of their products are made in Taiwan. Anyway, they were probably contracting out with C.G. Conn at the time for parts and accessories and that's why the Conn mouthpiece. Or maybe not? My new 1968 Buescher came with a Goldentone mouthpiece which was a Selmer plastic mouthpiece, and believe it or not, it was very playable. Anyway, here is a good site that will give you some Buescher history.

Buescher History :: SaxPics.com
Bought a Buescher Aristocrat tenor sax serial number 530... Decent shape but missing a neck, two palms keys. Next month I will have the tech fix it. Does play well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Bought a Buescher Aristocrat tenor sax serial number 530... Decent shape but missing a neck, two palms keys. Next month I will have the tech fix it. Does play well.
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that your horn is a Conn-Selmer made Aristocrat, made sometime in mid to late 60's. I had an alto of that vintage. A really nice sweet sounding horn. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Hmm.. looks like the neck isn’t the only thing missing. Hope you didn’t pay more than 50 bucks for that. Good luck

·
Registered
Martin Indiana tenor sax. Yamaha 5 C mouthpiece, Rico Metalite 7 mouthpiece. Use synthetic reeds.
229 Posts

Buescher History :: SaxPics.com
Bought a Buescher Aristocrat tenor sax serial number 530... Decent shape but missing a neck, two palms keys. Next month I will have the tech fix it. Does play well
Hmm.. looks like the neck isn’t the only thing missing. Hope you didn’t pay more than 50 bucks for that. Good luck
Did pay a little more than fifty bucks.Luckily it won't cost much to repair. The tech I bring my saxes has very reasonable prices
For now, I am using martin indiana tenor sax neck. Would a modern neck work on it?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
From the pictures, it's completely unplayable, missing at least 5 very important keys and a neck. Not sure how you can say it "plays well". Sorry to be blunt, but you got a junk parts horn. Doesn't matter how good your tech is, all those parts cost money and will probably be hard to find.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Worst case scenarios I sell for parts or barter to a tech for services.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yup... this is a parts horn. Only useable for techs to take parts from. I wouldn't pay $50 for it...
Be prepared for your tech to say "no can do".

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,506 Posts
Techs usually have a corner full of parts horns already, few are waiting for this kind of thing to show up and do something with it.

I am curios how you assessed the good playing? You put some tape on the keys not closing?

As for paying very little to start with you may end up paying a lot.

Nowadays the “ hardware" , especially if in that state, is rather less relevant towards determining the end cost. Labor cost is certainly the determining factor ( even in countries where there may not be a minimum wage).

So, unless the tech is prepared to work for a pittance and has nothing better to do, this horn will end up costing a lot of money (unless you abandon the project). Buying a suitable neck would cost unless you find a donor or purchase a Chinese neck off the ebay. The neck, of course will be a lot more expensive than the horn.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for everyones input. Yes I put tape on the open holes. Decided to sell on ebay with a Martin tenor sax case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,506 Posts
I can anticipate a thread ona horn to be repaired bought on ebay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts