Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Currently I am playing an Alpine Tenor. The horn is is good shape and only has one small ding in the bow, but I don't think the sound is that great. It just doesn't have a smooth mellow sound, it's kind of harsh. I have no idea when it was made as I have not been able to find a serial number chart. A local shop has a 1970's era Buescher Aristocrat which is being overhauled. It won't be re-laquered and had a fair amount of dings taken out of the bell so it won't be as a pretty as my Alpine but I am hoping it sounds better. I am considering trading in the Alpine for the Buescher if the Buescher sounds better. Can anyone provide some feedback on either of these horns in terms of personal experience, sound and maintainability. I really don't care about the looks. The sound, maintainability and manufactured quality the horn are more importaint to be. I've been told that the Alpine keys are made of zamac or some other pot metal and may break when being bent or adjusted. I know this Buescher is post Selmer buy out so this is only a shadow of the horn Buescher used to be in the 1950's and earlier. Still in all from what I've read it is supposed to be a simple rugged and fairly good sounding horn although some find the fingering a little combersome. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Botton line question is an overhaulled Buescher Aristocrat a better horn than a faily new (or at least new condition) Alpine?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The 1970's era Buescher Aristocrat is a student level Bundy Model 1 by another name. But the sound is just as sweet. It will probably be a bright solid horn with the potential for both high volume and good expression. The intonation will probably not be as good as the old pro-model Aristocrats, but much of the same good tone will be there. And it's not really a mere shadow of the earlier Aristocrat, but more like a less refined younger brother; with the same design and keywork, but made out of cheaper materials and without the hands-on finish work.

Site unseen, it should kick the paints off of a cheap Taiwanese Alpine, but your mileage may vary. Play both and decide for yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts