1x 37
2x 34
2x 32
1x 30,5
1x 27
2x 20,5
3x 18,5
2x 9,5

Aristo 156 tenors (post 310k big B's and later, up to Bundy I)
1x 50
2x 48
all other sizes remains unchanged

thickness MUST BE at least 4,5 mm if you plan on using snap in pads.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Juan, thanks for this list. Are these sizes available in metal-backed pads from the usual sources? Slightly off-topic, but do you find that the spuds in the keycups can be slightly off-center (by 0.5 mm or so)? On-topic, would this list be close for a pre-Aristo True-tone tenor around 212xxx? I know, haven't done my homework...

Wally

Here's the sizes (mm) and quantities I use for Buescher tenors

Aristo I and early big B (pre 156) plus 400's TH&C and Super 400's

2 x 50
1 x 48
1x 45,5
4 x 41,5
2 x 38,5
1x 37
2x 34
2x 32
1x 30,5
1x 27
2x 20,5
3x 18,5
2x 9,5

Aristo 156 tenors (post 310k big B's and later, up to Bundy I)
1x 50
2x 48
all other sizes remains unchanged

thickness MUST BE at least 4,5 mm if you plan on using snap in pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Wally
Yes them spuds can be off center especially on earlier instruments.
No they aren't available in metal backs, those aftermarket metal backs are sometimes off.
IIRC you'd need to replace the 37mm pad with a 23.5 mm one (back side F# on later horns, teeter toter side F# on true tones, New Aristocrats and some early aristo I horns) and you need to add the Eb trill key pad (23.5mm?) I can confirm that during next week. I don't have a TT tenor in the shop right now but I can call a good customer/friend of mine and ask him to send me the padcup sizes.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Didn't think enough before asking, I forgot about the chrom-F# and trill-E. Don't go to any trouble, I will of course measure. Knowing you, you've already set up to make your own pads. I was thinking of using the metal discs from old Buescher pads (contact-cemented under the leather overlap on back of conventional pads). Have tried to make a couple just to see, looks like they'd work if I can acquire some finesse with that. Better yet, if I could think of a substitute for the metal discs that's out there in many diameters.....

Oh yeah, I had a fleeting thought that maybe off-center spuds were just the ticket for rotation-prone pads that didn't rest on a bed of adhesive...

·
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're up for a challenge and you have all them original metal backs, you can "reupholster" them. Turn them felts over if they're not so badly stained, punch an appropiate hole in the skin, insert the felt in the padcup over the skin, pressing with the metal back evenly (heck you can even snap the thing to hold it in place) and cut the skin at about .125" on the small cups (palms) .160" on the medium ones (side keys, anything smaller than the G pad) and .200" on the large ones (from G cup on to the larger cups) Smear very little contact cement on the metal back and the skin and using a slick or the unsharpened edge of a pocket knife to fold and neat up the skins around.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
FWIW, and I know this sounds like heresy, but I own and have had 8 of these repadded now -- at least one of them several times, but most recently my series IV C-mel acquisition had it's originals. To tell the truth, I really can't tell the difference in feel between the metal-backed pads and a set of white roos or tech pads. Frankly, modern pads all feel harder and noisier to me than the originals, despite the metal backing.

·
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I go with recycled original pads for closet queens, custom synt felt-metal laminated cardboard and premium skin pads I make myself for premium overhauls where the goal is max out the performance on a player's horn, or premium commercial pads (like pisoni weatherproof deluxes, roo pads, etc) on run of the mill repads or if the customer has a specific request for his/her horn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts