Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my dad's sax from when he was in high school - mid 60s. All original as far as I know and in pretty good condition compared to some of the others I have googled. Serial # is 345xxx and user those numbers it has 156. Not a Big B, just Buescher with floral engraving above and below. I'm looking to sell and trying to find ball park value for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The serial # puts at around early to mid fifties, possibly a Buescher 400 model. As far as you know it's in good condition but posting some pictures will get you a better evaluation. Make sure to get some shots of the pads and also the neck. There are varying degrees of this model as they started in 1941 and ran to about 1960 and then Selmer bought out Buescher. In good condition they could run from around $850 to $1500. If you have one in "great" condition engraved with a top hat and cane they can fetch upwards of 3K. So, they're all over the place depending on vintage. Like I said, put up some pics for a better ID. There are a few techs on here that can give you a more accurate value.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,908 Posts
The 156 should mean it’s not a TH&C but still a great horn. Condition will determine its value. If original lacquer (in great condition) and with original springs and snaps it could be $2k+ or so.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pack it real well when someone eventually hands over the 2k. Got to keep this little beauty pristine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
Level Airs are great.
For a doorstop maybe. Not too much value there, though with the "five digit" serial number someone might overpay if sold separately.

Can't see the snap-ins, but do see the Nortons. Ebay is a minefield for the uninitiated; especially if they don't know their saxophones. I'd try to sell locally first through Craigslist and/or facebook.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Pack it real well when someone eventually hands over the 2k. Got to keep this little beauty pristine.
$2k Aus maybe....but unless the levelaire is worth $700....the whole package isn't gonna be snapped up by anyone for $2gusd.

...the value of this horn, despite excellent physical condition, will not exceed around $1200-1300 as it likely needs a repad (just assuming here the horn has been lying around unplayed for many years). On an open-bid auction it might not even fetch $900.
The market value of an overhauled one, even with good aesthetics, is less than $2g these days.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
These are great horns and worth more than you're likely to get for it; great for the buyer, not so great for the seller. And as Jaye says, even though it's in very nice condition cosmetically, it will likely need a re-pad at least. That being said, anyone who could get that horn for $900, even if needs some work, would be getting a great horn at a great price, assuming they are buying it to play and not flip.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There's also a 336xxx tenor on Ebay right now bidding at $565. Still a few days to go though. Serious buyers don't bid until the very end so the price will likely jump in the last few seconds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts