Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1951 338xxx serial number, it looks like it is in very good playing condition with the usual wear on the laquer but no other damage. Any caveats on that horn?

Thanks

p.s. what does the 156 suffix stand for? Never mind, Model 156 .. DUH!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it is a very nice player! :) :) :) Turned out it was another friend of mine who is now living in a trailer park and who needed the money so it wasn't that much about the horn as doing the right thing. Quite a few small dings but they were already taken care of.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Well, it is a very nice player! :) :) :) Turned out it was another friend of mine who is now living in a trailer park and who needed the money so it wasn't that much about the horn as doing the right thing. Quite a few small dings but they were already taken care of.
Nice can you share what you paid?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure, $750.-, he wanted to go down further but under the circumstances it would have been like stealing candy from a baby. Now I just need to figure out which one of the RPC mouthpieces JL was talking about. It is booming with the Theo Wanne Datta. I did not realize how light these horns are, at least in comparison to my Series 1 alto and my TT Tenor. I'll post some pictures when I get back from running my Pyrs... they are anxious now :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
You got a steal on that horn! Those are great horns; I have one and it put my VI in the closet for a couple of years.

A few points, which have been discussed a lot on some older threads:

The 156 with script engraving is exactly the same horn as the latest "Big B" 156 Aristocrat, except for the engraving. There were three models with the Big B engraving (127, 155, 156, from earliest to last). I'm pretty certain that "Big B" does not stand for Big Bell; I think the "B" means Buescher, probably.

The RPC I've mentioned is a 120B. However Ron usually makes them as custom orders, so they aren't all the same. Very good mpcs. I'd also recommend Pete Thomas's PPT and the 10MFan Black Widow. However, the Theo Wanne mpcs are also excellent, so you're probably fine there.

That's great that it's playing well. I'd still take it in to your tech and have it looked over. At the price you paid, you'd still be way ahead even if you have to sink some more $$ into getting it in the best possible playing condition. Assuming it needs any work.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got a steal on that horn! Those are great horns; I have one and it put my VI in the closet for a couple of years.

A few points, which have been discussed a lot on some older threads:

The 156 with script engraving is exactly the same horn as the latest "Big B" 156 Aristocrat, except for the engraving. There were three models with the Big B engraving (127, 155, 156, from earliest to last). I'm pretty certain that "Big B" does not stand for Big Bell; I think the "B" means Buescher, probably.

The RPC I've mentioned is a 120B. However Ron usually makes them as custom orders, so they aren't all the same. Very good mpcs. I'd also recommend Pete Thomas's PPT and the 10MFan Black Widow. However, the Theo Wanne mpcs are also excellent, so you're probably fine there.

That's great that it's playing well. I'd still take it in to your tech and have it looked over. At the price you paid, you'd still be way ahead even if you have to sink some more $$ into getting it in the best possible playing condition. Assuming it needs any work.
JL, the only work it needs right now is one missing cork on one of the palm keys and that's about 5 min of work. The owner hadn't played it in awhile because he got a "newer" horn and he is a classical / jazz quartet guy so he plays more the "civilized / subtle" sound. When I tried it, one of the top pads was leaking a little but after just playing it again for 15 min it got better and better and all the leaks disappeared, it has perfect intonation and this huge sound.

Thanks for the pointers on the MPCs, I figured the Datta was close to whatever you can get out of that horn and if I can sell my Cannonball Big Bell Stone Tenor and the LA Sax, then I can look for some alternative MPCs.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
JL, the only work it needs right now is one missing cork on one of the palm keys and that's about 5 min of work. The owner hadn't played it in awhile because he got a "newer" horn and he is a classical / jazz quartet guy so he plays more the "civilized / subtle" sound. When I tried it, one of the top pads was leaking a little but after just playing it again for 15 min it got better and better and all the leaks disappeared, it has perfect intonation and this huge sound.
I know what you mean about excellent intonation and a huge sound; that huge sound is a characteristic of these horns. Sounds like it's in really good playing condition, so that's a real plus. I'd still have it checked out because there could very well be a couple of minor leaks that aren't all that apparent because you can adjust for them when playing. Since it seems in such good playing condition right now, there's likely to be only minor work needed, if that, so not at all expensive. Since you got it practically for free, why not have it put into 'like new' playing condition?

In any case, enjoy that horn!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point, I shall comply. My main tech is in town only twice a week and then I have to catch him when the boss is not looking :) But for a quick check-up, it's perfectly legitimate. Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, I can't say enough how much I appreciate the love for those horns by many of the contributors here on this forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts