Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Buescher Aristocrat Tenor with serial nr 235xxx. The serial nr charts say that the Aristocrats start at about 264xxx, but the engraving sais Aristocrat.
Who can tell me more?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The B and Bb keys on the bell are on opposite sides of the horn.

If that's the case, Hornlip is probably right. Look for the word "NEW" in the engraving.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
If it's 235,xxx that's too early to be a New Aristocrat. 285,xxx is more likely.

If it looks like the one on the top, it's a New Aristocrat which has split bell keys. If it really is serial 235,xxx, I'd really like to see a picture of it.

·
8,588 Posts
Helps to own a hundred or so Buescher saxophones when you're wanting to whip out a photo comparison. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,835 Posts
If it's 235,xxx that's too early to be a New Aristocrat. 285,xxx is more likely.

[ . . . ]

If it looks like the one on the top, it's a New Aristocrat which has split bell keys. If it really is serial 235,xxx, I'd really like to see a picture of it.
Nice. I envy that NA.

Actually you're right, 235,xxx would be pretty early for a NA horn. I've got a TT alto with a later # than that.

·
5,183 Posts
My favorites for many years have been this tenor and a TT alto. Sopranos, my tipped bell Buescher is in a dead heat with a Conn and a Couesnon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,835 Posts
That's a Model 137 Aristocrat, the first full-fledged Aristocrat. The 137s are great horn.

I also have eyes for these
313xxx and 303xxx
There you've actually got two different horn models. Compare the bell of the 303xxx horn to the bell of the first horn you posted a pic of. Then compare those bells to that on the 313xxx horn - you'll notice the 313xxx horn's bell has a different flare.

What's going on is this: The earliest "Big-B" Aristocrat tenors were the regular Model 137 Aristocrat like the first horn you posted a pic of, but with a the new "Big-B" engraving, ribbon keygaurds etc. Just cosmetic differences.

At some point Buescher removed the G# trill key. Then a little later they changed the body tube & bell and only then gave the horn a different model number. That's what the 313xxx horn is - an Aristocrat tenor, but a different model horn than the earlier Model 137 Aristocrat. And off the top my head I've forgotten what that model number is. Somebody will chime in and post it.

The pre-war horns are great; I've never played the later models, but some people prefer those.

·
5,183 Posts

·
8,588 Posts
Typo on Hornlip's part. The 127 (not 137) isn't actually the first true Aristocrat. That distinction pretty much has to go with the model 135 alto. Not including the introduction of the B-11 (400), the first major model change on their main line tenor was the 155 in 1945 and then the 156 late in 1948.

The 127 pictured first is a continued evolution of the split bell tenor (bell keys on opposite sides) that they had been making since at least 1909 -- often called a TT. In this iteration, the bell and key work was changed to support left-hand bell keys. In the pictures where you show both sides of a single horn, that's model 127 with the Art Deco engraving. In the post where you show the same side two different horns, the right-hand horn is a model 127 with the Big B engraving. Fundamentally those two model 127 horns are identical except for the key guards and engraving (cosmetics).

The left hand horn is most likely a model 156, though there's a remote possibility that it's a late 155. All 3 of these are fine instruments that present a little differently cosmetically and/or ergonomically, and/or tonally -- depending on which two you're comparing at the time. All have their supporters who insist it's the best version of the Buescher tenor. They can't all be right about "best", but you'd be pretty happy with any of them.

·
8,588 Posts
There probably was a model 137. Just not certain what it was or if it lived long.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Wow.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts