Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - using some rare spare time to play around with recording my '50s Buescher 156 at the moment. Here's a youtube recording of 'I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face'.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
999 Posts
I really liked it! Lots of emotion and nuance, but not overwrought. Great playing and a great tone. You really brought out the fine attributes of the 156 Buescher. Well thought out accompaniment with a smooth guitar sound that was just enough, but not too much.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,474 Posts
Beautiful played and beautiful sound :). Great recording quality too, but would have loved to hear the sax a bit more natural in the mix.

Are you playing a late Florida Link around an 8 tip (just guessing!)?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Nice playing :)

·
3,242 Posts
Great job. i enjoyed the sax and guitar equally. i hope you post more.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
VERY nice. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! The mouthpiece is an 'early Babbitt' era Link, 9. Incidentally, a few days ago I posted a demo of the Buescher in which it is completely dry in the mix.
There's no EQ on this one, btw, but yes there is a fair bit of reverb which de-naturalises it a bit, so fair point. Cheers :)

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,474 Posts
Thanks! The mouthpiece is an 'early Babbitt' era Link, 9. Incidentally, a few days ago I posted a demo of the Buescher in which it is completely dry in the mix.
There's no EQ on this one, btw, but yes there is a fair bit of reverb which de-naturalises it a bit, so fair point. Cheers :)
Thanks for the additional information Tim. Those metal EB's are great (I have five of them in my collection!) and you sound fantastic on it.

Just found the 'dry' clip you did with the Aizen SO and EB Link (starting at 2:10), sounding great on both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gWWRbDA13o

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers - I didn't know whether there was a forum rule against posting clips twice, hence I didn't embed it in my reply to you. Yes, it's a lovely piece. Had it about 18 months or and really enjoy it, especially in intimate gigs.
Cheers for your input, which is appreciated. I go through occasional phases of wondering whether to try and save for a SBA or Mark VI tenor (I play a Cigar alto and love it), but since at this stage that involves selling the Buescher I've always decided against it. I think if I do ever get one, I'd ideally like it to be in addition. At the moment though, I can only afford one tenor!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,474 Posts
cheers - I didn't know whether there was a forum rule against posting clips twice, hence I didn't embed it in my reply to you. Yes, it's a lovely piece. Had it about 18 months or and really enjoy it, especially in intimate gigs.
Cheers for your input, which is appreciated. I go through occasional phases of wondering whether to try and save for a SBA or Mark VI tenor (I play a Cigar alto and love it), but since at this stage that involves selling the Buescher I've always decided against it. I think if I do ever get one, I'd ideally like it to be in addition. At the moment though, I can only afford one tenor!
Tim, no need for an SBA if you are happy with the Buescher (and you should be, sounding great on that horn!). Of course each horn has it's own thing going on!

Last year I had the option to compare my 1953 SBA tenor against a 1945 303xxx Buescher Aristocrat tenor of a friend. I did like the Buescher, but I preferred my SBA. See this thread (post #33) if you would like to hear a comparison soundclip (warning, I'm by far a less skilled player then you):
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ions-please!&p=2199410&viewfull=1#post2199410

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the link to the clip - it's a really nice listen, and very interesting given the kind of imagined comparison I've had in my head.
Incidentally, I was lucky enough play piano for Scott Hamilton last week - man, there's an amazing tone on an SBA! We did a little sax duo stuff too, but obviously comparison was hindered by the fact that I reckon he'd make a garden hose sound gorgeous! Still, the Buescher seems to hold up well in general against most things.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Beautiful!!! I really enjoyed your guitar playing too!

·
6,831 Posts
Owning and affording two high quality Altos is easy. Much more difficult with Sop, Tenor, and Bari! If I could replace my Couf with a Buescher TH&C I would! Unfortunately I have to sell the Couf as it is to pay for my Yani T900µ. So, unless a TH&C falls into my lap rediculously cheap, that's a pipe dream!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,474 Posts
Thanks for the link to the clip - it's a really nice listen, and very interesting given the kind of imagined comparison I've had in my head.
Incidentally, I was lucky enough play piano for Scott Hamilton last week - man, there's an amazing tone on an SBA! We did a little sax duo stuff too, but obviously comparison was hindered by the fact that I reckon he'd make a garden hose sound gorgeous! Still, the Buescher seems to hold up well in general against most things.
Thanks Tim. Great you played with Scott. He always sounds great and I like his tone on the old Mater Link he uses now even more then on the big tip Florida Link he used previously.

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts
Sounds well Tim, nice vibe, I have had 1 of those tenors in the past and recall it being husky sounding, if that makes sense.
Very nicely played and a smoky warm but gritty tone, nice.
Sweet old standard choice too, I remember in a band I was playing in Newcastle the old big band boys used to call that tune "I've thrown a custard in her face", so our Geordie humour consequently tarnished loads of other tunes giving them alternative names, for example, "Wood choppers ball" became "Tree hackers knackers"and so and so on, I won't go into the more adult tune title alternatives haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts