Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently inherited an old buescher aristocrat alto saxophone. The laquer's chipped, but that's about the only thing wrong about it. No bumps or anything, so i started playing with it and i love it! It's quite different to the new yamaha i'm used to play with, but hey! This got me interested in the instrument, and i would like to know when it was made, and maybe what it's worth? (i don't want to sell it anyways). It's serial number is 327 73x (that last one is unreadable) and under it it's written 140. nothing else, and i don't have the original case.

anyone has some info on this saxophone?

edit: i've been doing some research and i'm now thinking it's a series 2, but the engraving doesn't match up any photos i've seen!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
AltoLP: Welcome to SOTW. There are several different serial-numer lists on the Internet - just do a search and you'll find them. My "Big B" Buescher Aristocrat 140 alto is serial 320XXX and from the lists I've looked at, I think it was made in 1949. Does yours have a large "B" engraved on the bell?

At any rate, I had mine overhauled a few years ago and it is among the very best altos I've played . . . clearly as good as my Ref 54 Selmer, Yanagisawa A-WO1, and others in my closet.

Value? I'm reluctant to quote a figure - many saxophones are worth what one particular buyer is willing to spend for such an instrument at any given time. I'm of the opinion that it all depends on YOUR timing in the market. I'd guess between $800 to $1500, depending on condition, but that's just me. DAVE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does have a big "B" on it, so i'm quite sure now it's a series 2 "big B". I guess it was made at about the same time as yours then! thanks!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,151 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "series 2," but it's a Big B engraved 140 Aristocrat, circa 1949, and one of the best vintage altos out there. That's a great horn. Have you had it looked over by a good tech? The most important thing for a great horn like this (or any horn for that matter) is to get it put into top playing condition (lacquer wear doesn't matter at all). IMHO, these horns blow away any Yamaha, so no wonder you like it! But again, be sure it's leak-free and set up to play well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,086 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "series 2," but it's a Big B engraved 140 Aristocrat, circa 1949, and one of the best vintage altos out there. That's a great horn. Have you had it looked over by a good tech? The most important thing for a great horn like this (or any horn for that matter) is to get it put into top playing condition (lacquer wear doesn't matter at all). IMHO, these horns blow away any Yamaha, so no wonder you like it! But again, be sure it's leak-free and set up to play well.
I think series 2 is taken from he saxpics list http://saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=2
It appears to be a 1949 "series 2" Big B model.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I don't know what you mean by different engraving. The serial number indicates it should have a very large B at the top surrounded by some filigree. That said, there were two engraving styles on the same instrument depending on when it was made, and this one is very near the change. A picture or two would be appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts