Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, New to SOTW. I recently purchased from eBay a 1972 alto buescher aristocrat serial # 571xxx for $213 plus $32 shipping. I was wondering if this is a good sax, claims to have new pads and new corks, excellent playing condition. I don't want to compare it to pre Selmer buyout pro horns since I am a beginner. But compared to post Selmer horns, Vito LeBlanc (Japan), Selmer Bundy, and yas 21/23 is the sax I have considered good tone, durability, etc.? Is it a beginner or intermediate horn? This site has given me great information thanks again for any advice! And any suggestions for mouthpiece(Yamaha 4c?)/reed combo for a absolute beginner will be appreciated

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I learned on these (both a Buescher Aristocrat branded Tenor, and a Bundy branded Alto). I have to say, I like the Altos better than the Tenors, but that may be just from the two examples I owned. I began learning altissimo on that old Bundy too! With a Selmer scrollshank C* ("D" chamber "soloist style" mouthpiece. Soloists have a true round chamber). Anyway, perfect match! And those later scroll shanks can usually be bought for under $70. Great little sax :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,947 Posts
Yes, a very good price. It will serve you well if the descirption was accurate. If it ends up needing work, you can invest another $100-150 in it and you'd still get your money back if you ever wanted to sell. If it needs more work than that...not a good buy (but not your fault, obviously). But if seller is straight-up, then you are probably set.

Ergonomics are old-school style, meaning not like a Yama 23 or Vito Japan. But that's no big deal given your context, actually. As far as ruggedness, reliability, tone, and build quality...it exceeds modern asian models, actually.

My suggestion: you could buy a Yama 4C mouthpiece for it...but if you wanna get a better sound out of the horn , with equally easy playability, for the same budget mouthpiece price...get either a Brilhart Ebolin 3 or 4, or a Bari Esprit. They'll just make the instrument sound fuller.

Enjoy.

·
6,831 Posts
Yes, a very good price. It will serve you well if the descirption was accurate. If it ends up needing work, you can invest another $100-150 in it and you'd still get your money back if you ever wanted to sell. If it needs more work than that...not a good buy (but not your fault, obviously). But if seller is straight-up, then you are probably set.

Ergonomics are old-school style, meaning not like a Yama 23 or Vito Japan. But that's no big deal given your context, actually. As far as ruggedness, reliability, tone, and build quality...it exceeds modern asian models, actually.

My suggestion: you could buy a Yama 4C mouthpiece for it...but if you wanna get a better sound out of the horn , with equally easy playability, for the same budget mouthpiece price...get either a Brilhart Ebolin 3 or 4, or a Bari Esprit. They'll just make the instrument sound fuller.

Enjoy.
My old Bundy came with the Brilhart Ebolin 3! That thing was such a bear to play. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I'm actually amazed I kept playing sax in spite of that mouthpiece! Maybe mine was a bad one, but I had similar experiences on a Tenor sax Ebolin 3 and a Bass Clarinet Ebolin 3, only cementing my dislike for them.

·
14,429 Posts
I have a Brilhart Ebolin 3 that is one of my favorites on alto. True, one can occasionally come across a mouthpiece that is awful but the result could be the user as much as it is the mouthpiece. We are all different and we all react differently to mouthpieces. DAVE

·
6,831 Posts
I have a Brilhart Ebolin 3 that is one of my favorites on alto. True, one can occasionally come across a mouthpiece that is awful but the result could be the user as much as it is the mouthpiece. We are all different and we all react differently to mouthpieces. DAVE
This is true. But, I could not, with a clear conscience, recommend this model of Brilhart. But, that's me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,255 Posts
I find the Brilharts to be nice but the good ones are the older ones. For starters I still think a good basic mouthpiece is in order so he can find the right tip and get used to a more open less stuffy sound. That is why my pick is a $15 Rico B3 but a BARI Esprit or similar will work. I find the Ricos to be fairly consistent and should work well on the Buescher. Play it for a few months and go from there. Money well spent.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It is actually the same horn as the Selmer Bundy, just different logo on the bell and keyguards (and maybe G# key), if I remember rightly. My daughter (playing 2 years) is using a 1969 Bundy with a Yamaha 4C and likes it. She prefers Vandoren ZZ reeds, but for a beginner just plain old Ricos should do fine. The tone is good for a beginner horn, and they were built to withstand the abuse of being used by schoolchildren - one reason there's still so many of them around. I think the Brilhart Ebolin is a very decent affordable mouthpiece option, but I'd say a Yamaha might be a little easier to play for a beginner.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I got a '71 Alto, it is true that the key design layout and overall look scream student, don't let that fool ya, the sound is great. It is a backup for my MKVII alto and serves me well on many pro jobs, it is rugged and plays in tune. A true bargain horn that can deliver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts