Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...I'm new to SOTW and would like some further information about the Buescher aristocrat 640418 alto sax from 1976.

I'm looking at upgrading to an intermediate sax and would really value some advice on the quality, tone, ergonomics, 2nd price etc of this sax..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This is a late model Aristocrat. If you don't want to go the whole hog and buy a vintage model, then look for one in 380,000 to 475000 range. Better still, look for a Buecsher 400 in that range. I think you will get a better sax at a fairly similar price.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi

I've got tenor of about that vintage. It's OK, but no better. I got it cheap, about 25 years ago - here in the UK there is nothing like the range of vintage instruments you find in the US. It did me fine for a long time, until I replaced it with a new Yani T992. I played it again a couple of days ago and it sounded and felt pretty limited by comparison.

On the other hand, to back up what Pinnman says, I have a 400 bari from the mid sixties, and that's a real monster.

I've also got a wonderful Buescher True Tone sop, from 1926, but that's a whole different sort of a horn...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Unlike the 400, the Buescher Aristocrat Alto 64xxxx series is the exact same horn as the Bundy. They're good solid playing horns but may suffer from intonation problems. This horn was built in about 1975. It is basically the same design as the pre-1963 Aristocrat Alto, but made out of cheaper materials and with a lot less hands-on care. It is at best a very good student horn.

To get a good quality later-model Buescher alto, go with a pre-63 model Aristocrat or a pre-78 400 with left-hand bell keys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts