Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been renting a tsax for my child, but would like to put our money toward a purchase.
I would really appreciate some advice on which would be a better value for the money as far as longevity, sound, and any thing else you think of.

The Buescher Aristocrat 532,xxx has small dents at the bottom, no damage to bell and priced at $280

Jupiter Artist JTS-889sg looks new but doesn't include the mouthpiece, priced at $750

Yamaha student used a couple of years been in storage a couple of years, priced at $690

1960's Aubert made in Italy and it may need some work but the finish looks good for age. $250

If you were starting out and had the chance to get one of these which would you tell your younger self to get?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My choice would be the Jupiter. I had one and recently 'flipped' it to a player in Germany. They are getting harder to find at that price. Mine sold for $1100 and did not look new.

The Buescher might also be a good choice. I know a lot of folks recommend Yamaha but the student instruments never did much for me and they are expensive.

But if, like many kids, yours is image conscious, the Jupiter will stand out.....and, they do play great.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Has your child played them?
Or at least those models if not the specific horn??
The Buescher, by this time was owned by Selmer and is considered a 'student' horn, though the price is nice.
The 'student' Yamaha (YAS-23??) is a very good horn, but I don't like the price. With some patience you can get a much better price.
Don't know about the Aubert, but also a nice price if it is a good horn.
The Jupiter is a very good horn, IMO, very underrated.......but the 869SG Artist that we have is quite bright, well suited for Jazz, not so much classical.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I did not find the 889 bright at all. With a classical mouthpiece, I can't see any difficulty. What I found with the 889 is use as bright a mouthpiece as you like and retain a nice core sound.

Maybe there's some different specs to the necks of their "vintages". The one I had was an early model with the black G# and an oblong bell brace.

Also, if I may offer another suggestion, I replaced the sold JTS with this from QuinnTheEskimo -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selmer-TSOL...189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1d83af75

Mine came in brand new, in a BAM style trek case and with a Selmer Paris S80 C*. Same as the LaVoix 1 except that the soloist is hand engraved. LaVoix 2 has lost the double arm C/B and G# brace.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,216 Posts
I think at this point, probably the Jupiter or Yama is the best bet.

Let us clear a few things up, though: with either of those, I am assuming the horns to be in good playing shape and in need of no further work. Confirm this with the sellers. If the sellers are NOT willing to guarantee that, then their prices are too high. They should be talked down at least $100 if they will not guarantee the horns play up and down.

I can guarantee you, from the prices, that neither the Buescher nor Italian horn play up and down. So they are a roll of the dice. You buy either, and yoou might get away with $200 of repair work to get them going. Then again, that estimate might end up being $400, in which case, eh....you would have been better off going with one of the modern horns.

It is impossible, really, to buy a decent, reliable Tenor sax with no problems/issues for $300.

You can do it for $500. I have several of those for sale, actually if you wish to discuss (email [email protected]).

A decent, reliable mouthpiece for a kid (Yamaha 4C or 5C, Hite Premier, Brilhart Ebolin 4 are some examples) only costs between $20-35 online, so the fact that a horn comes with a mouthpiece or not is not much of an issue, really.

IMHO, while the Jupe 8XX series are quite decent horns, I would still consider them bright in comparison to an old Italian or American horn. But again, for a kid's first sax....that is a pretty darn nice one.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Shoot, did not catch the 'JTS' part, so if the Jupiter naming convention is in line with the Yamaha's you are indeed speaking of tenors.
All my 'experiences' are with altos.
All that makes the prices more in line, but generally my comments still go.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've been wanting to try the altos, too. Bright, Dad, compared to what?

So....JayePDX and I can slug it out :cool:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Momofmany, please be warned that the most important thing is the playing condition. It is not cheap to fix a saxophone. Honestly, it is not easy to assess the condition of a saxophone, it is like buying a used car. So, at a minimum, you need to ask your child to play test them, or bring someone experienced with you to check out the condition. Without knowing the playing condition, it is pointless to talk about the price. It can be a $100 horn but need $600 of work, or a $500 horn that need no work ...

But in general, you got a better chance of success to buy a modern horn (v.s. vintage horns that from 1950s, for example), that used for a couple of years, then put in the closet for another a couple or years because of lost of interest; like the Yamaha or Jupiter you mentioned above. Those would likely required less work. But even so, please put aside another $100-$200 to get it adjust or replace a couple pads by a technician.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Sounds like the consensus is newer = (probably) less problems, and between the two Jupiter over Yamaha.
I intended to bring an experienced player with us, but didn't want to trouble them for all of the possibilities. I needed some help narrowing it down. Thanks to all.
The Jupiter is sharp! Lets hope it plays like it looks. Child is a jazz fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
StuartSax -
Interested in that one on ebay but the buy it now price is out of our range. The Jupiter would be our max price.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Momofmany, have you looked into a stencil??

I just picked up a Vito (Yamaha) tenor for less than $200 shipped.
Might take another $200-300 to get it in shape.
But for $400-500 I know I'll have a nice, playable horn for a quite bit less that a Yamaha branded sax.

·
18,216 Posts
I've been wanting to try the altos, too. Bright, Dad, compared to what?

So....JayePDX and I can slug it out :cool:
I just mean bright along the lines of modern-sounding, i.e. not as dark as a vintage horn ;) Actually, I prefer the tone of the higher-end Jupes to a Yama 23.

·
18,216 Posts
Thanks all. Sounds like the consensus is newer = (probably) less problems, and between the two Jupiter over Yamaha.
I intended to bring an experienced player with us, but didn't want to trouble them for all of the possibilities. I needed some help narrowing it down. Thanks to all.
The Jupiter is sharp! Lets hope it plays like it looks. Child is a jazz fan.
Well, then try the Buescher as well, if you are bringing an experienced player with you. Who knows, it may play up and down or darn close to it; in which case, it's a contender....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Got ya, Jaye. And I'd agree it is brighter than vintage tenors.

Dad, we did a play test with 2 alto players switching an SA 80 11 with a Purple Label YAS 62. Selmer was much darker with either player. So, I can understand the J being brighter.

My tenor tests were with comparable saxes - Buffet 400 and Just Saxes Crescent.

Mom - I called Quinn direct and made him an offer you CAN afford.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Buescher post-buyout Aristocrat could be a good choice. They are built like a tank, key work is very sturdy, and while they are inferior to pre-1958 Aristocrats tone-wise, they are not bad at all. If they seal well and in good working order for under $300 they are a great value and good beginner horn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Jupiter was sold. There's a Bundy II for $500. A band teacher is selling it and says it plays well. It's an hour away from here though. How would that compare to the Buescher as far as being well built and tones for a jazz enthusiast?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The Buescher probably has a little better sound but the Bundy II is likely to have more modern keywork which may be better for a young beginner. Realistically, at this point the horn that is in the best condition and state of adjustment is going to be the best choice. It's probably not practical but you'd be better off taking an experienced repair tech with you than a player. He'd be able to tell you which is in better playing condition and/or which is going to cost you the most money to put/ keep in good playing condition. That not withstanding, if you really don't know what you're looking at I 'd make the finalized sale dependent upon having the horn checked out the same way you might have a mechanic check out a used car before you bought it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The Jupiter was sold. There's a Bundy II for $500. A band teacher is selling it and says it plays well. It's an hour away from here though. How would that compare to the Buescher as far as being well built and tones for a jazz enthusiast?
I would say wait for something else.

Which city do you live? I can help check out the craigslist and see if there is anything better.

And what is your budget and your child's skill level?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts