Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ISO a basic marching horn for my daughter. She will need for 2 more HS seasons and most likely college. I'm looking at a Beuscher Aristocrat 200. Suggestions on this brand? 7845824 serial

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
That will make a fine marching band horn. Just realize that even though you may be able to buy for $250 or so, it will probably need that much in repairs to get into good playing condition.

I took a different route in marching band to protect my expensive sax. I played a school owned horn (tuba in my case).

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My first question is, what is she playing now? Because unless the Buescher is in tip top condition it's not going to be a better horn. The 200 isn't really a Buescher but a Conn-Selmer version of the Aristocrat, pretty much on par with a Bundy. It's a student model horn, so it isn't really an upgrade if she's playing a Yamaha or another student model horn. Don't get me wrong, these can be good horns but the condition really matters. What ever you do, she needs to play it first and like it as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,598 Posts
its for marching-it will do just fine. the bundy 1 is more durable tho

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Yeah as noted it is 'sorta a Bundy II'. So again, yes, while a Yama or Jupe or other established contemporary student model horn will be slicker under the fingers, I echo the above - for marching band, one wants something tough as nails which sounds OK and can hold up to both the elements and the likely knocks a marching horn takes.

So, yes, if in good playing condition, it's a perfectly reasonable choice.

·
3,598 Posts
i have the ultimate marching alto-the bundy 1 with the thick gold sparkle finish and rubber pads!

·
824 Posts
@super20dan ,
Thanks for the photo!

I have not seen one of these since 1976, when one of my high school players showed up to rehearsal with one. That was the only one I have ever seen "in the flesh," so to speak.

I had forgotten about these oddball Bundys, and it is interesting to see one again in your photo. How would you evaluate its playing characteristics?

·
3,598 Posts
its very hard to believe but it plays amazing and has to be due to the rubber pads. they seal instantly and gives the horn a lightning fast responce i have never felt in any sax before. plus you would think the very thick epoxy finish would muffle the horns tone-not so. its the brightest alto i have ever played. this horn is some kind of freak!. makes me wonder if others of this marching edition play like this. mine is the only one i have seen in real life. best 75$ i ever spent on a sax. jhave seen pics of bundy 2 with this finish also.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i have the ultimate marching alto-the bundy 1 with the thick gold sparkle finish and rubber pads! View attachment 108373
Yes, I had one of these back in the 70's, same finish with the rubber pads! It had an excellent sound, and it was labeled as a Buescher Aristocrat. Anyway, good horn provided what condition it's in. I've seen a couple over the years for sale on line, and I considered buying one for nostalgia's sake, but they were in lousy condition.

·
3,598 Posts
yes these usually are found in very poor shape-not suprising given that they were used for marching band usually. i missed a chance to buy a second one with the rare rubber pads. love to find a tenor version if there was one

·
824 Posts
I wonder if anyone knows how long these were made, whether or not the rubber pads were permanent or replaceable, and if there were tenors. The strange finish would not be out of place today, with all the unlacquered-look modern horns.
I agree that the same horn was found as both Buescher Aristocrat and Selmer Bundy, but I suspect they were made only 1 or 2 years. I presume that they used the EBIC design of the regular Buescher/Bundy horns, including the (sharp upper register) True Tone alto's neck (rather than the better Aristocrat 140 neck).

·
3,598 Posts
from what i know about the rubber pads{witch isnt much as there is no info about them} is they are replaceable but there are none aval. you can put in leather pads .

·
824 Posts
Just out of curiosity...

Did this model have a distinctive model number due to its finish?

I started my sax experience in 1964 with a lacquered Bundy 1 (called H&A Bundy in that year, so still using many Buescher parts). Wish I still had that horn, but Mom could not afford to keep it and buy the Mark VI in 1967, so we traded it in.

Getting back to the satin gold alto, rather than repad such an unusual horn with regular pads, I would love to play this 1970's epoxy Buescher/Bundy original with still-sealing rubber pads to experience what Super20dan described with such enthusiasm!

·
3,598 Posts
its simply mind blowing!. no other sax responds this way

·
876 Posts
Just out of curiosity...

Did this model have a distinctive model number due to its finish?
Yes - The Bundy alto was model 1252 in regular finish and 1262 in epoxy, and tenors were 1254 and 1264 respectively. Buescher altos were 1033 and 1023, tenors 1040 and 1030.

Interestingly enough, the "Adjusta-Pads" were standard on epoxy-finish instruments from ~1969 until the end of the Bundy I line in 1978. When the Bundy II/Aristocrat 200 came out, they were available only as a special order (the epoxy finish was "officially" gone too but some schools were still able to special-order them).

As to the original question, the Buescher Aristocrat 200 is identical to a Bundy II in all but the name on the bell (and the original case and mouthpiece). If it's in good working order, it's a solid marching band instrument.

·
824 Posts
Thank you, Stocker, for the precise information about which I had mused! I appreciate your kindness in sharing your knowledge here on the forum.

·
3,598 Posts
wow wouldnt it be cool to find an epoxy -rubber pad tenor. esp if it plays anything like my alto does

1 - 18 of 18 Posts