Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a soft suitable case(under $100) for my 1951 Aristocrat 140 serial# 341xxx??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
New, you can always go to ProTec. I have my Big B and Ref 54 altos in Protec contoured cases. I paid a little more than $100 a while back for the last contoured ProTec I bought. DAVE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any special model to look for?? The Protec Max Contoured Alto Sax Case MX304CT does not fit it!!
Damn, and it was only $59.00 too!!!
I am thinking of going down to Sam Ash with the sax and look for one that is priced right and suitable, but it's a 30 min. drive!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to wwbw.com the SKB SKB-340 Rectangular Alto Saxophone Case will fit and I found it for $70 shipped! Only it is not soft, it is a hard case!!!

·
14,268 Posts
I don't know the sizes or model numbers/designators - didn't know there WERE different sized alto cases by Protec until reading elsewhere on SOTW. I do know that my Buescher 400 TH&C won't fit - the bell is too big (I bought a new Cannonball big-bell case for it, but CB quit selling them individually after I bought mine - or so I was told).

But for my Big B, I just ordered a contoured ProTec case and fit like a glove. I also ordered one for my grandson's Kessler alto and my daughter's MKVII alto and they fit perfectly. By the way, how do you know your Aristocrat won't fit? If you tried it; fine. If it is the location of the bell-pads (left side as opposed to newer altos on the right side), that shouldn't be a problem. It sure wasn't for me. But, a 30-minute drive is no big deal, is it? DAVE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, the exact model # of the case is very important. Anyway, I have asked a couple of online sax sites for information about the cases they sell, and when I find one, I will post it, thanks!!

·
14,268 Posts
I just went to Protec's web-site and looked at their cases. I was looking at (and bought three times) the Pro Pac models - apparently the most expensive. They are listed as Models PB304CTXL and PB304CT.

The XL is the larger of the two and their ad-copy says the XL is for vintage saxophones and saxophones with bigger bells. The non-XL has smaller exterior measurements and while the text doesn't say so, I'm assuming it is for "modern" saxophones with smaller bells (whatever those are - see below).

Now except for the larger belled TH&C and the Cannonballs (naming the only two altos I know of with bigger bells - there may be more models, admittedly), I don't know why a "vintage" alto would require a bigger case.

Like I wrote before, I have a TT alto, a Big B (Aristocrat), and a Selmer Ref 54 in ProTec Pro Pac cases. The horns are all different in that each one has differently sited lower bell pads (one split, one on the left side, and one on the right side), they vary from early 1920's to 2004, and they all fit just fine in my Pro Tec cases. My cases apparently are not the XL versions because they do not have that XL logo on the sides. I'm guessing your Aristocrat alto would fit in the Model PB304CT.

By the way, the model numbers I cited are more expensive than the model you mentioned in an earlier post. Apparently Pro Tec sells a variety of cases - I assume the PB304CT and XL are the better, sturdier cases. DAVE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, thanks for your help in this matter. I may buy one of these in the future, but for right now $$$ is a big issue. I just got the response from "Musician's Friend" and they claim that my Aristocrat 140 will fit into their SKB 1SKB-SC340 Alto Sax Soft Case and it's priced at $64.99 shipped, so I think I will order this one and I will report on the outcome. It may take a while to get it since they are temporarily out of stock till the end of September.
take care for now,
Mel

·
14,268 Posts
You are welcome. I once had an SKB case but as I recall, it was a hard-shell case and had very little room for a mouthpiece and extra reeds. Could be wrong - OR maybe they have different products now. Another thing - if "soft-side" means something like a gig bag (with no structure inside the material), then set aside some funds for repair work or be very careful with it. DAVE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I forgot to report back. The Aristocrat 140 just barely fits in the SKB case.
It will do for now, but in the future I will try the Pro-Tec one, thanks!:treble:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I have a 'Crat series 1 that fits the XL case just fine, though I have to admit I ordered it from go and didn't try the standard case. Just out of curiousity for the future, what part of the horn was causing it to not fit?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are referring to the SKB 1SKB-SC340 Alto Sax Soft Case, the upper part of the sax (about 6 inches) has to crush the foam on the lid, in order to close completely.
I am living with it, because I don't think it's harming the sax, but like I said in the future, I will look at the ProTec's.
Keep any additional information coming, we all can benefit by this!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts