Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an option to buy an Aristocrat with serial number 288xxx that according to the seller has original lacquer (which I'm unsure of, the pictures look... too good and shiny?) and was completely overhauled 2 months ago. According to the seller: "new Kangaroo Pads Brown, all new Metal Resonators, Original Buescher Snaps Resonators also bumper felts and key wedges are new in the mechanism has new Norton Springs."

Unfortunately I can't go and have a look because it's in another part of my country...

I'd be very happy if someone could comment on if the horn looks right, what is a sensible price and so on? I know nothing about Buescher horns and they seem to be a bit uncommon over here.

0595557550.jpg
0598433371.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've never seen a series 1 in bright silver, unless for a military contract. I suspect replate, looks nice tho. I wouldn't pay more than $1600 if repad was by reputable tech. These are excellent horns but don't bring the $$$

·
Banned
566 Posts
i have seen a few of these in silverplate and they are definitely not common.
this one looks like a re-plate to me.
they are nice saxophones sound and playing wise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have seen a couple series 1 in satin silver, but bright silver from Conn, King, or Buescher of that era would usually have a U.S. engraved on the bell for Govt Contract (from the horns I've seen). I have an original Bright silver Custom Built bari of similar vintage and it has the U.S. engraved under the standard bell engraving.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never seen a series 1 in bright silver, unless for a military contract. I suspect replate, looks nice tho. I wouldn't pay more than $1600 if repad was by reputable tech. These are excellent horns but don't bring the $$$
So even if it's a replate it should be about $1600, considering it's new pads etc? Would there be any downsides to it being replated generally? Read somewhere that it might affect the sound, but then again I read that the lacquer doesn't really do anything to the sound. :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received a picture of the serial number, which even more makes me think it's not the original lacquer, see attached. The stamped number looks like it's been filled in a bit, difficult to read it. What do you think?
image.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,840 Posts
This has been resilvered and probably the goldwash bell was redone too.

It is way too bright to be old silverplate.

Looks very much like the work of Borodi Music.

As a collector item is not worth anything because it is not original (and defaced in my opinion by a very aggressive “ restoration") and despite its new looks this is worth considerably less than a good honest old plate horn.

The stamp could be recut by a good engraver. Nut it is completely filled of silverplate!

·
Registered
140 Posts
If it's a replate, pricing is difficult. Here in the states you'll see MusicMedic pro shop selling restored horns for several thousand dollars, but they don't over buff and generally do beautiful work. I agree that definitely looks replated, and poorly. I'd save my money personally and play test some. My top estimate of 1600 is based on Aristo series 1in original finish and pro overhaul. Maybe a friend in the US could help you find a good one? They're not impossible to find here in nice original silver, and even easier to find in lacquer.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I'll skip this one and look for an original lacquer instead. Difficult to try out vintage American horns over here in Switzerland... But I'm definitely interested in a Buescher from what I'm reading about them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,840 Posts
there are certainly people with good original horns out there.

In my experience there are way more Buescher Altos (it is true of most brands but a bit more for Buescher) than there are tenors.

In the Netherlands there are shops such as Harry Bakker or Hummel with a great selection of horns. The NL aren’t too far from Zwitserland :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's my 292xxx Aristocrat. Original lacquer and pads. Very low hours, but a few scratches and dings. It'd be a good players horn. Sounds great but needs a repad. Has all original snap ins, sharp pearls, very tight keys, no end play whatsoever. I wish you were in Seattle, I'd let you come over and try
It. I'd trade you for one of those old Selmer Model 26s Ya'll have too many of in Switzerland IMG_20181007_143152_852.jpg IMG_20181007_143324_170.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,244 Posts
I have an option to buy an Aristocrat with serial number 288xxx that according to the seller has original lacquer (which I'm unsure of, the pictures look... too good and shiny?) and was completely overhauled 2 months ago. According to the seller: "new Kangaroo Pads Brown, all new Metal Resonators, Original Buescher Snaps Resonators also bumper felts and key wedges are new in the mechanism has new Norton Springs."
It seems difficult to have both “all new metal resonators” and “Original Buescher Snaps Resonators”.

Which is it?

I, for one, am fine with a replated Buescher. I had one that played great because it had a good overhaul - but if you don’t know the quality of the overhaul, it’s a real gamble.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's my 292xxx Aristocrat. Original lacquer and pads. Very low hours, but a few scratches and dings. It'd be a good players horn. Sounds great but needs a repad. Has all original snap ins, sharp pearls, very tight keys, no end play whatsoever. I wish you were in Seattle, I'd let you come over and try
It. I'd trade you for one of those old Selmer Model 26s Ya'll have too many of in Switzerland View attachment 218116 View attachment 218118
Very nice looking! Yeah, you're just a little too far away for me to stop by... :) I'll have to keep looking, maybe there's a market for Bueschers here that I've just missed. Only checked the Swiss websites that correspond to eBay (we have some local ones).

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems difficult to have both “all new metal resonators” and “Original Buescher Snaps Resonators”.

Which is it?

I, for one, am fine with a replated Buescher. I had one that played great because it had a good overhaul - but if you don’t know the quality of the overhaul, it’s a real gamble.
Actually something might be fishy with this seller anyway. When I asked where it was refurbished and if he could send new closer up pictures of the engravings, he went quiet. Oh well...

I see your point about refurbished - if it's well done I think I'm fine with it. I want to play the horns rather than collect them. But since I can't try it, it seems to add to the risk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts